Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JP Maple (Burgandy Lace) Should I trim off this branch? (pic)

Posted by cadence 8b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 15:59

I planted my Burgundy Lace maple about 2 years ago. My idea was to have it grow with a nice canopy. How do I train it to get there? I notice there is a wishbone shape branch growing out of the side of it. Should I cut it off, if so, where do I make the cut? I also noticed the top branches seem to be growing in one direction. What's up with that? Should I put weights on the branches so they'll bend down? Does the tree need to be staked? Please help me as I love this tree. It's got lots of buds right now.

Thank you.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JP Maple (Burgandy Lace) Should I trim off this branch? (pic)

ASAP I would prune off the lower left branch and then stake the tree to true vertical.

o

aethetic_pruner ~ Just a little to confused. I know you said lower left branch but which one? Do you mean the one nearest to the soil so that the entire wishbone branch is removed or the branch that is part of the wishbone branch. Can you please tell me where/how to make my cut? I'm really new at this pruning.

o

Follow the tree trunk from the ground up. The first branch that you get to on the left is going into a wishbone form.
Take it all off at the trunk so you end up with just the two major co-leader branches on top. Do not prune and leave a stub. Cut the branch off flush with the trunk for this small branch. It may bleed sap a little at this time of year if the tree is active but it should heal off OK. Then stake the tree up so it is true vertical. Use two stakes, one on each side but take them off next year. Connect the stake with rubber materials and never with wire. The two stakes should be around 6 to 8 inches from the trunk, 180 degrees appart. OK?

o

aethetic_pruner...

Perfect!! Thank you very much for taking the time to explain this to me step-by-step. I understand everything you said. If you like, I can show you a pic when I am all finished staking it. Do you think the branches at the top will eventually bend down or are they always going to grow in one direction straight up like in the picture. Maybe by pruning this wishbone branch off, it will put more energy into the tree. Thanks again for all your wonderful help.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 18, 10 at 11:20

The branches will not bend down. You bought an upright grower, not a weeper. Nevertheless, a nice tree.
I agree that the lowest limb should be pruned.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here