Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Japanese maple??

Posted by japmapleman none (justin@straightlinelandscapes.com) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 16:05

Hello everyone!! I own a landscape installation and maintenance company and 2 years ago while working on a customers property I noticed a small Japanese maple seeding in the woods. The owner knew nothing about it and saw I could have it. I brought it home and put it in a container. last year the maple didn't do that well, lots of leaf scorch, didn't thrive. So over the winter I transplanted it into al's gritty mix and when the leaves emerged a couple of weeks ago I noticed it looked totally different from last year. I opened my Japanese maple book by j.d bettered and Peter Gregory 4th edition and looked through the whole book and found nothing similar to it. Could this possibly be a new variety? I know people think they have new types all the time and it takes years to make sure it is in fact a new variety. I plan to just jeep it and let it grow but really would like to know if it is a new variety or possibly I just missed it in the book. Where I found the seeding there are no other maples around. I'll post pics as soon as possible if I can figure out how... Any input would be great..thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Japanese maple??

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 9:41

Every seedling is a new maple. I grow hundreds and select the best every year and throw away the rest. I hope yours is unique and worthy of propagation.
Go to Webshots or a similar site and learn how to post a picture. It's free. It seems complicated at first, but it can be done.
If I can do it, anybody can. I just stumbled through it. lol
Mike
Japanese Maples

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

o

Ok thanks!! I'll try to get my photo up here

o

A seedling Japanese maple is just that - a seedling of the species Acer palmatum. No unique cultivar or name associated with it......just a generic J. maple. These seedlings can be extremely variable in appearance depending on the parent plant(s) but even that is no guarantee -- they may look nothing like the parent. But they can make excellent trees.....just nothing you can assign a name to :-)

FWIW, unique or distinct cultivars are typically sports of existing varieties that are then grafted and encouraged to grow on while maintaining their distinct characteristics. Never seedling grown.

o

• Posted by mafle 8 Oceanic (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 29, 11 at 18:02

That last statement is a little misleading; in truth most cultivars of Japanese maple started life as seedlings. While sports do occur, they are not the only source of new cultivars.

japmapleman, the best thing you can do is observe your maple for five years or so, all the time comparing it to as many other Japanese maples as you can see. If after a few years you still think it is unique, then think about giving it a name. The genes of this species are so varied that a "new" variety could pop up anywhere.

The main thing though is to enjoy your plant for what it is. Often, the seed grown plants can be superior to the grafted ones, but still not unique enough to be worth naming.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here