Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Companions for my Japanese Maple

Posted by pmsmith2032 5b (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 16:18

We were given a Japanese Maple (see below) and we are trying to order two more JM to accompany it. We'd like something similiar in size and shape. The JP we received was seed grown so we have no idea what it will look like.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Companions for my Japanese Maple

Tuff question, Could be many...leaves are cut deep,but way early photo. Try a search on acer palmatum 'Trompenburg' and see what you think.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 22:31

Can you get some seeds or more plants from the parent tree? Not only would you have some trees for yourself, you'd have some for friends if you went the seed route. They are as fun to grow as they are to look at.
Evergreen trees and shrubs make good companion plants for Japanese Maples. They should be installed before the maples because they form the structure, or bones, of the garden.
Mike

o

hard to id JM's, i dont think its a trompenburg 9 lobed, your's seem to be 5 lobed.

if you're just looking for something that'll match you can try Bloodgood, Emperor 1, or Fireglow.

o

Thanks! I do know the original tree was grown in Wisconsin somewhere if that helps. This is the 3rd generation from what I understand (seedling of a seedling of the "parent" from Wisconsin).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here