Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maple Advice

Posted by MRB1120 Michigan (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 2, 13 at 18:12

I am looking for advice on trimming a maple tree in my back yard.

My wife and I recently purchased a house. The house was a foreclosure and was vacant for a long time and alot of work is needed inside and out.

There is a maple in the back yard that I am thinking of trimming but i dont want to hurt the tree. I am trying to make the tree into a centerpiece of the back yard.

As you can see in the picture, there is a very low split or crotch. The branch on the right goes all the way up with very little side branches off of it. The branch on the left (the main tree) is very healthy and will have a nice shape if the other side is removed. The circumfrance of the left branch is 21" and the smaller one on the right is 9".

What do you think? Cut it or leave it alone? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maple Advice

cut it...and thin some of the inner branches also :)

o
RE: Maple Advice

I agree, I would cut it and trim the lower small branches right off the main tree. Trim anything not pointing up. Will look great in a few years

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here