Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flies attacking jm??

Posted by west9491 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 18:15

Today, i was going out to get some air with my son, he saw me stirring some dissolbed alfalfa pellets into the mulch, so later i saw him poking at the branches, of course i told him to stop and went to look for myself to see how the buds were progressing. to my amazement i saw flies attached to many, at least more than half of the buds on the tree! What is going on here, good or bad?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flies attacking jm??

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 22:00

I think they're just hanging there, maybe dying of old age. Some kinds of plants have sticky buds that insects get stuck to by accident, in which case it's more like the plant is attacking the flies.

o
RE: flies attacking jm??

now that i think of it, they were kinda difficult to pull off of the buds, i thought they just had some kinda deathlock on the buds. cool! thanks

o
RE: flies attacking jm update

i went back out and checked it....there was another fly on the bud, and i think it flew away when i got close....

I checked the buds, and they don't feel sticky to me?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here