Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pruning japanese maple

Posted by flowergirl70ks 5/6KS (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 11, 08 at 18:25

Is it alright to prune a japanese maple now? It hasn't broken dormancy yet.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pruning japanese maple

Yes go ahead. Start on the inside and work you way out. Prune all branches that branch into the center and one of the double branches going in the same direction. Remember don't prune too severly because you'll have to see it all year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

Sap starts rising rather early in maples so don't be surprised if you see some bleeding. Not to worry - it's more of a concern to the pruner than it is to the prunee :-)) And use a very light hand. Japanese maples seldom require much in the way of pruning except to remove any obviously dead wood, occluded branches or to lightly thin the canopy and enhance the natural form. Nothing looks worse than an overpruned JM and they take a long time to outgrow it.

o

You don't want prune any tree when they are putting out there flush growth, the reason for this is that a tree is putting out lots of energy at that time bleeding doesn't hurt a tree

o

How can I tell if my japanese maple is no longer dormant?
Also what is "flush growth".

o

It is hard to tell exactly but generally when bud swell starts it's breaking ...it is very likely a bit before but unless you are a fortune teller you won't know til the swell ...as far as flush growth ...no it has nothing to do with a toilet ;>) it is during spring early heavy growth peiod and sometimes ltr in the summer a fall flush also happens but not with every cultivar and not every season in my experience ...but many have both. Late fall flush along with early fall freeze is not good for man, beast or Jm's...it won't kill a healthy tree but you will have dieback on all flush branches...that is why late summer and fall fertilizing is NOT recommended for JM's especially in colder climates .David

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here