Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Groups of 3-5 JMs - Please comment!

Posted by clafouti 6 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 18:32

So... I have a blank canvas in my back yard right now, and I am planning on putting in a lot of Japanese Maples. I am thinking of clustering them in groups of 3-5, and I am looking for variety and harmony in shape, form, color. If you have any suggestions about switching things around, etc. I'd be very grateful for your input. These are the groups I am thinking of planting:

A: seiryu, shideshojo, tsuma gaki, ruby lace

B: katsura, autumn moon, inabe shidare, villa taranto, shaina

C: orange dream, pacific fire, orangeola, red dragon, mikawa yatsubusa

D: aureum, fireglow, shishigashira, waterfall, crimson queen

E: osakazuki, tamukeyama, winter flame

F: aconitifolium 'dancing peacock', garnet, pacific fire, koto no ito, kamagata

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Groups of 3-5 JMs - Please comment!

I'm not sure how to respond to this question :-) How one chooses to organize their own garden is pretty much a personal matter so the groupings you contemplate are very subjective. Rather than evaluating your 'clusters', I'd prefer to see how all these trees are grouped in the landscape and what other plants accompany them. Do you have sufficient room for 27 different JM's, some of which will get to be of a pretty good size, either with regards to heigh or spread? What else will be planted?

Some of your combos seem to include a rather wide range of heights/habits, so the initial planting could look very different once some time has passed and the trees become established.

o

I think there is room - although the groupings will be rather maple-centric. The other plantings will be mainly conifers.

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 23:49

I tend to mix my japanese maples in with my conifers. Some selections like Shishigashira are nice by there self since it is so unique.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here