Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
macknkss

Shindeshojo? - JM ID

macknkss
12 years ago

Hi, I bought and planted this 2 gallon maple, which was labeled shindeshojo, a couple months ago before there were leaves on it.

Shindeshojo

From all the pictures I've been looking at this was labeled incorrectly as a shindeshojo's spring leaves should be bright red.

Any ideas on what variety this may be? It's leaves are about the size of a quarter right now. The leaves started coming out 2 weeks ago.

I have this planted partly under a patio cover and if it's going to get huge I'd like to move it and get something more appropriately sized in it's place.

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

the deshojo and the shin (new) deshojo do turn greenish. did its leaves come out green? or did they turn green a few days afterwards?

is your tree grafted? if not it could be a seedling of shin deshojo, and could be a bit different.

• macknkss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, the leaves came out green and havent changed in two weeks. Also, this tree was grafted. Thanks for the response!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

If the tree leafed out green, then it is NOT Shindeshojo. The new spring growth is very intensely scarlet, often described as "fire engine red", and holds this color for a good month, sometimes longer, depending on location and weather.

Your photo link did not work for me so no idea as to what you may have. And ID'ing JM's from photos can be rather tricky at best - often variations between cultivars is very slight. I'd take photos now of the emerging spring foliage and again in midseason. Pics of the bark and buds during dormancy can be helpful too.

If purchased at a reputable nursery, I'd be inclined to ask them what it might be.....they could very likely be responsible for a mislabeling. It happens even at the best of places, unfortunately.

• macknkss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the help. Although I wanted a shindeshojo I really like this tree but I'm without knowing how big it's going to get I'm going to have to move it. Any chance it's a kamagata? One of the only yellowish leaf with red tip that I can find.

Anyone else have an idea of what it may be? If you're unable to access the pic let me know.

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

from what i can tell, 7 lobes, deeply divided, oval lobes, droopy, light-lime green with thin red edges.

i googled kamagata, coloration is kinda similar, but the leaves are not droopy, and the lobes are long thin triangles.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

Cant see pic !

• macknkss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to those who can't see the pic (not sure why), thanks to those who responded!

Houstontexas, you're right on in your description. Any guesses to what it may be?

• derek91
    12 years ago

Orange dream?looks just like my orange dream or mabey Katsura.

• macknkss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I was thinking orange dream as well and I'd be good with that! I'll look up Katsura. Thanks derek.

• peapod13
    12 years ago

Tsuma gaki???

From "Japanese Maples, The Complete Guide to Selection and Cultivation"

"As the foliage unfolds it tends to droop from the leaf stalk, adding a softness to the plant's general appearance. The color at this time is a soft yellow green. The tips of the lobes are shaded with a blend of tones which are difficult to describe. Colors range from a persimmon red to a light purple-red combination...The medium-sized leaves have five to seven lobes. The lobes are ovate, but taper to slender tips, and are separated to about halfway to the leaf base. The margins are evenly and lightly toothed. Young shoots are deep red.
    The maple is not tall-growing, but forms a round plant up to 3 m (10 ft) tall and wide."

If it were Katsura or Orange Dream the leaves would have emerged orange or lemon yellow with orange tinged margins, not green with red tips. Sorry don't think it's either of those.

Blake

• macknkss
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blake, I think you're right on Tsuma gaki. The leaves definitely were drooping and the pictures from google images look dead on. Thanks, never heard of this variety before and would have never found it if it weren't for you.

Mack

• peapod13
    12 years ago

You are most welcome, though I must warn you, as said above, identifying Japanese Maples through photos can be tricky at best.

Watch your tree through several growing seasons taking note of bark color, shoot color, leaf colors and changes and then compare those notes with pictures and descriptions from books and the internet.

Vetrees' book "Japanese Maples, The Complete Guide to Selection and Cultivation" can be found and checked out at some libraries. It has pictures and descriptions of many cultivars. However, the pictures in this book are from specific trees at specific times of the year and the leaves on many Japanese Maples can vary quite dramatically over the course of a single year and be very different from year to year depending on rain, sun, and temperature differences from year to year.

Another good source, because there are usually pictures from different parts of the US and in fact the world taken at varying times of the year is UBC. Do a search for "Tsuma Gaki" and "UBC" and you'll find many pictures of this cultivar.

Check it out and see how well it matches up with the notes you take as you watch the tree changes over the course of several seasons.

Blake

• zencalc
    12 years ago

Here's a close up of my shindeshojo's leaves...
    It's been a late spring here in the Northwest.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio