Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beni komachi and Beni Maiko

Posted by nikkie_in_toronto (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 07 at 18:59

Can someone tell me the main differences between Beni Komachi and Beni Maiko??? I saw a few nice larger ones at a local nursery, obviously they were not leafed out, but I just wanted to get some opinions on these and anyones experience or preferences??? While I'm at it, I did pick up a Shindeshojo which I had been looking for... How do the komachi and maiko compare to shindeshojo as far as spring color...??? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beni komachi and Beni Maiko

I'd personally go with the 'beni maiko', but I've only seen one 'beni komachi' and it wasn't during the prime spring color. I haven't compared them side by side but I would still say 'beni maiko'. I think 'beni maiko' may be closer to 'shin deshojo', but I also have not compared it side by side either. In my opinion 'shin deshojo', beni maiko', and 'chishio improved' are probably the brightest commmon pink/reds that you will see in spring.

o
RE: Beni komachi and Beni Maiko

Beni maiko has larger leaves that are shaped like a traditional JM, and they are bright red in the spring, turning to green. Beni komachi has smaller, narrower leaves than a typical JM, almost dwarf in appearance. The leaves are not as bright red in the spring, but retain much of their reddish color through summer. I like Beni komachi because it is very unique in appearance with its small, narrow leaves. It is also rather twiggy. Shin deshojo is supposed to have more intense red color than either of these in the spring. It turns greenish during summer, but new growth is red. Of the three, I have Shin deshojo in my yard and it's one of my favorite JMs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here