Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 questions (ID maple and is it too late to repot?)

Posted by crizq0 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 19:19

So this is my mom's maple that she probably purchased probably close to 10 yrs ago from a local nursery. I was wondering if you guys can ID what kind of maple is it. It is about 5 ft tall and just leafed out in the past week here in the bay area, CA. Is it a kamagata?

I understand the roots are very sensitive and wanted to know if it is also too late to repot to separate the plants? I want to have this maple in it own pot and not shared by another plant. If not, I can always wait till next year.

Thanks!

photo DSC_0074_zps06a43db7.jpg

photo DSC_0070_zpse6918fb3.jpg

photo DSC_0076_zps6fca7f50.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 questions (ID maple and is it too late to repot?)

Nevermind that, it probably isn't Kamagata. Definitely not a dwarf. According to vertree's, an 8 yr plant would be 3 ft tall.

o

So I decided not to repot till early next season since the maple was leafing. But something interesting with the way this maple is leafing. Half the tree, the leaves are furled up and the other half looks nice luscious green. Is this normal? I'm going to assume the other plant that is sharing the pot is probably affecting the roots on that side of the tree.

Right side looks good and left side looks furled below.

photo maple_zpseb3f2c13.jpg

photo maple2_zps852e425e.jpg

o

First of all That is an Okushimo on the left which is your desired cultivar and the basic acer rootstock on the right. Personally I would cut off the non-furled tree on the right (standard Jap. Acer rootstock) leaving just the okushimo. Wait until next winter seperate that jade plant out of the pot so it can get over having over half of it's foliage removed. Okushimo is a vase shaped upright that gets pretty tall but containerized it will stay relatively short. The curled leaves are not only normal but desirable on this one. That's what gives it character. Just get rid of the dime a dozen acer rootstock tree that is taking over.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here