Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maples springing to life!

Posted by northtexas 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 19:33

How are your maples looking this spring? Here are a few pictures of mine.

Deshojo Japanese Maple

Photobucket

Shantung Maple

Shantung Maple

Fire Dragon Shantung Maple

Fire Dragon

Fire Dragon Shantung Maple

Photobucket

Fireglow Japanese Maple

Photobucket

Fireglow Japanese Maple

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maples springing to life!

Our two Fire Dragons are ROCKIN' now.......they were newly planted last April......We planted a new Coral Bark three weeks ago....it's about 9 ft tall and already has new growth.......HUGE sighs of relief from the wife and I.....we planted a Murasaki Kiyohime last year when we planted the Fire dragons and she weathered the hard winter weather and came back with a ROAR this year....already full and dense!

o

All of my shantung maples are already full and now are beginning to turn darker green. My Seriyu Japanese maple has put on quite bit of growth already after being planted last fall. I'm curious to see how Skinny Dragon will do this year after being dug up and moved to a new spot. It had grown over 5 feet last year. I planted this Shantung maple that I grew from seed a few years ago because of its cool summer growth which seemed to glow in the sun. It seemed to have deep butter yellow fall color but that remains to be seen if that's the case again this fall. Metro Maples gave me Blaine's Dragon to try out last year (a tiny one) and I had to grow it in the container to grow several feet before planting it in the front yard last fall because kids and dogs tend to run across the yard.

Now we wait 7-8 months for fall color!

o

Here are a couple of ours. Should I be concerned about the buds on the JM that havent leafed out yet?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Ryusen

Shishio hime

Beni maiko

Kagiri nishiki

If you want to see more you can check out my blog:

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

o

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Glowing Embers, Emperor 1, Osakazuki, Sango Kaku

o

I planted my fire dragon last September. I am loving it!

Lou, do you have any pictures of the Skinny Dragon? I also have one but it looks like a stick with leaves growing out of it right now.

Magoo, I put a Murasaki Kiyohime in a pot on my front porch last weekend and now all my friends are accusing me of engaging in illegal agriculture.

Jscaldwell, I do not think I would be worry about those unopened buds but I am an uber rookie with these trees so my opinion means nothing!

Beautiful pictures everyone!

Fire Dragon pictures taken 3-27.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

It looked like a foot tall stick last year. Who knows if it was a voodoo mixture of fish fertilizer, Biozome, molasses, humic acid, Mycogrow (sp?), etc that helped it grow that much???

o
My Shantung maple

This one that I grew from a seed a few years ago and was growing in 15g containers. I picked best one of all mainly because of this summer growth color and nice form and leaf shape.

o

Wow! I hope mine grows that much this year!

o

gorgeous pics guys. Here is one of mine.

Photobucket

o

Wow what is that one Evan? Here is the fire dragon today. It has already grown nine inches this spring!

Photobucket

o

Skinny Dragon... Love that tree for its leaf shape.

Front - Blaine's Dragon planted last fall.
Middle - Fire Dragon planted in 2007 as 5ft tall.
Back - Regular shantung maple that I got at Lowe's in 2006 which happened to be the only year I ever seen shantung maple at Lowe's.

o

Love the pics!

I made some 1-2ft purchases last fall. Ko-no-ito, Red Filigree Lace, Beni Shi En, Peaches N Cream, Toyama Nishki, and Fireglow. Wish I had taken pictures, they all looked awesome this spring, though tiny :)

I took a chance and just planted them in the ground last fall, rather than potting them up. Amazed that they made it thru the winter and look so good!

o

It's a crimson queen northtexas. sorry so long, haven't logged in for a while!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here