Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jawstheshark1969

Favorite 5 Japanese Maple Cultivars

jawstheshark1969
20 years ago

OK, its been almost two weeks and nobody has started this thread yet. It has always been a popular thread in the conifer page. I know that all enthusiasts of JM's probably have 20 different favorites, for 20 different reasons (I know I have many). But if you could only plant FIVE cultivars around your home, which would they be and why????

I think five cultivars is sufficient, because one cultivar is just too limiting and anything more than 5 is just too many "favorites"....

JAWS

Comments (110)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great Plant Picks web site has an evaluation.

• warpweft
    17 years ago

What a question! It's like asking which one of my children do I like best! I don't know if these are the "only " top five, if you know what I mean. I have so many that they interbreed and I find unique seedlings during the spring and summer. The colors are spectacular this upcoming month.
    BTW, some great places for learning and seeing pictures of many JPMs are www.mountainmaples.com and www.roslynnurseries.com
    Inaba Shidare
    Koto no Ito
    Goshiki Shadare
    Seiryu
    Tennyo no hoshi

• ademink
    17 years ago

I don't have many (I'm more of a hosta and conifer freak - newer to JM's) but the 4 varieties I have, I love!

Bloodgood (5)
    Crimson Queen (1)
    Sango Kaku (1)
    And the star of my yard....Viridis (2)! One of the two I have is unbelievably beautiful. It was a $5.00 almost-dead one I rescued 3 years ago. It has rewarded me w/ incredible form and foliage. Love it! :) I could almost hug it. LOL

andrea

• maplecollector
    17 years ago

Tamukeyama- Bright Red Laceleaf
    Kamagata- Small leaves- unique and colorful
    Fireglow- Nice Leaf shape- dark to bright red
    Sango Kaku- Georgeous Red Bark- Nice leaf shape
    Shin Deshojo- Outstanding Spring color

• harwichhelen
    16 years ago

Can anyone suggest very small (say, 3 ft high by 3-4 ft wide, or even smaller) JM that would do well on Cape Cod? I have a small yard but love JM and would like to get as many as I can squeeze in! I have Bloodgood, Orangeola, and Beni Hime now, just planted recently so I haven't even seen them in all their glory yet. This could truly become an addiction!

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

If no one here lives there I would ask around many drawfs will stay small but may not work well in your area ..I don't know what side of the cape you are on or how close to the water if you are a ways out I'd expect alot of salt spray wherever you live which would not be good ..You also have weird weather conditions especially in winter out there not great for alot of plants.Of course the Bloodgood is NOT a small tree although you can keep it trimed I doubt it would look like much "small" the orangeola can also get largeand would be hard to "top" without it looking weird. The Beni hime is the only true dwarf amounst the three and should work if it does ok in your area which I amj not sure of?? BTW the correct pronuciation is "Ben E" "HE MAY"...NOT the Jessse Jackson pronuciation that everyone uses ...no big deal but it bugs me so I thought I'd put that in!! David

• harwichhelen
    16 years ago

Thanks, David. I'm on the south side of the Cape but not near the water, so salt spray is not a problem. We did have a problem this winter with icy cold wind that burned my ground covers and Japanese hollies. I would have the dwarf JMs in a more sheltered spot that filters the hot afternoon sun. The Bloodgood is in a larger area so ok if it gets big, and the same with Orangeola. I guess I need to ask around, although I haven't seen any of the favorite JMs people mentioned for sale in my area, so I would have to order by mail.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

That is no problem email me persoanlly and I'll send you some good etail sources ...find out what ones are available there and that local nurseries have had good luck with and I think I can match you up with a few dwarfs and some places to get them reasonably. Unless someone here reads this that is from the cape or nearby and has ideas from actual experience.The salt spray was my biggest concern and soil weird weather ..."unprotected" weather out towards the tip I know as you go farther out vegitation gets smaller and looks less varied and stunted it looks like a differnt planet IMHO having lived in Boston for five years in the 70's and visit often and have done the cape many times David
    myersphcf@aol.com

• picea
    16 years ago

As of now my favorite japanese maples are the ones that haven't been effected by the the late season feezing weather we had. David

• astilbe
    16 years ago

As with harwichhelen, I am looking for a similar sized JM. I'd love one with a mounding/cascading "zen garden" look. I have a space under a dogwood tree that I think would look lovely with such a small sized JM and a ground cover perennial or a hakone or mondo grass. I saw a red filigree lace on "Gardener's Diary, fell in love, but it's a zone 6. I suppose I could pot it, bring it in? Do you think a small JM would work under a dogwood and if so, what kind?

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

OK I'll "bite" ;>) how big is your dogwood tree and how much space is under it height wise??? Is it older and does it have a large trunk what is the trunks approx caliper ...All of this is needed to see #1 whether it will work and #2 whether it will look right. My initial thought is you should get a spreding not mounding dissectum but they are not readily available and WILL cost ya...most regular dissectums will likely be to big in short time and trimming a disectum to keep it small IMHO is not a good option whereas with many upright A.P.s trimming is easier ...but thats just my opinion if you get a standard type dissectum your tree will be way to big in a few years.But it really depends on the answers to my first questions on your tree size...David

• dawgie
    16 years ago

For those of you in Massachusetts, Zone 5, I would be vary wary about spending a lot of money on a typical dissectum Japanese maple as they are not likely to survive your winters without damage, particularly if a cold one. Instead I would consider something like Green Cascade, which is an Acer japonicum variety that looks a lot like a green dissectum. Here's a link to website with photos and description:

http://www.worldplants.com/greencascade.htm

A. japonicum and A. shirasawanum varieties are generally more winter hardy the A. palmatums that most people think of as Japanese maples.

• astilbe
    16 years ago

Thanks to you both for answering. I'm new to the tree world.
    The dogwood is about 15 years old, I'm not sure the caliper but I'd say the trunk is about a foot and a half across - I'm not at the house right now,(it's my mother's yard that I help garden in)so can't take a measurement. It is very airy underneath so I'd approximate that it has 6 feet headway. I can stand under it with some room at the space I'm thinking of placing it. It would have dappled sun and I was thinking the dogwood would give it a bit of a wind break. Mom lives in the lower Pioneer Valley and I'm amazed at the micro-climates in her yard. She has some bushes from her native N. Carolina growing happily in some parts of her yard and in other parts of the yard snow patches are the last to melt in her neighborhood

• astilbe
    16 years ago

PS to dawgie - I just checked out the "Green Cascade" on the website you suggested, as well as other web pics, and it's beautiful! Some of the sites described its habit as sometimes sprawling (in an aesthetic way) and looks nice when sited to cascade over a wall. The dogwood is near a river slate retaining wall that my father had built and so I'm excited to go to Mom's and check out whether that placement would be an option. Also, Mom will be glad to know that a fellow tarheel had made the suggestion (if you're a transplanted northerner living in Cary, that's ok too!) ;)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

I don't know whether you are in zone 5a or 5b that does make a differnce and even in 5a if it is protected under a tree with a retaining wall it should do ok with any # of varieties but if northern and /or NW exposure and strong winds I would agree go with the A.j Green cascade.. But I think many other more locally available dissectums will work including Crimson Queen,Tamukeyama,and some not so available ones as well. Of course if you get an unusual winter like this fiasco spring all bets are off...even in zone 6!!!!! I am 5b or 6a depending on which chart you use and have yet to loose a dissectum over winter but our winters have been mild ( relativily of late) max -10to-15 below... This spring has been especially hard on most dissectums not just here but everywhere that cold spring period hit.. but my Tamu is almost fully leafed and remainined uvitually untouched It along with Berrima bridge,Pendulum julian, and Van den akker ( you likely won't find any of these)look great the rest well... lets leave it at that...I would recommend Tamu first among the A.P.'s readily available David

• astilbe
    16 years ago

I'll check out all of these. I consider the garden in 5b although there is that little bump of zone 6 coming up from Connecticut into W. Mass that seems to include Mom's town but I've always conjectured that it ends one street away!

• johnstaci
    16 years ago

Just curious if anyone has tabulated the votes? I am going to buy some of my 1st few japanese maples and was curious what the top few vote getters are.

John

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

No but feeel free ;>) I think alot depends on #1 where you live both climate and soil conditions #2 how much expertise you have growing JM's #3 what the persons "taste " is and what THEY think is cool eachy person has their own artistic flavor and therefore sees pleasure in differnt attributes #4MOST IMPORTANTLY how many JM's the folks that posted actually have to base their decisions on. It's a nice thread but I wouldn't base any decisions on it.. too many variables in IMHO. Get Vertrees book and the Eastwoods Cd and see what YOU like...and visit nurseries ( if there are any nearby) that specialize in JM's. There is no one "best" or 5 "best" Jm for you or anyone else ...if only it was that easy ... but then everyone would have the same 5-10 trees what a bore!!! ;>) David

• jumbojimmy
    16 years ago

Please post some photos of your favorite maples!

This is my Sango-Kaku when I first bought it 2-3 years ago. It looked really nice back then. But as years go by, it's suffering leave burnt and branches break due to windy condition.

I only wish it's fall colour was red or orange instead of apricot yellow. Because a lot of trees turn yellow in my streets.

What I like about this maple is it's red branches...however, mine's matured to a degree that there's hardy any red colour showing.

{{gwi:1036289}}

• staceybeth
    16 years ago

Hi there, we just bought a Tamukeyama Threadleaf JP its just lovely. It was in a 7 gal pot and we planted it in a 12 gallon. Do we need to take this in during the winter? We live in Mass and it can get quite cold. We have a garage and a shed so If we do have to take it in it is possible. Also, how long before we have to re-pot to a bigger planter. Thanks.

• chironex
    15 years ago

1. Winter Flame
    2. Beni Kawa
    3. Fjelheim
    4. Pacific Fire
    5. Sode no Uchi

• mattnova
    15 years ago

1. Waterfall
    2. Tamukeyama
    3. Orange Dream
    4. Sango Kaku
    5. Koto No Ito

These are just 5 that I either have or seen up close. There are so many more that are great. I may change my 5 as they mature and I get to see the fall colors.

• beeky
    15 years ago

Katsura - Katsura would be classed as a small tree or large shrub. My 12 year old tree is about 15 feet by
    15 feet. I pruned mine to have five trunks, it would be somewhat narrower grown as a single trunk.
    Katsuras' claim to fame is its' spring color. The color is always described as "pumpkin orange" and when you
    see the tree you will instantly make the association. My Katsura remains "pumpkin orange" for about a week or two
    then becomes yellow. The yellow color remains for at least a month making the tree a real stand out in the garden.
    The yellow eventually becomes light green. The second flush of growth in late summer is yellow and highlights
    the layered look of the tree. New growth is slightly pendulous so the branches sway in very light wind adding
    another attractive feature. Fall color ranges from dull red to red-purple. Occasionally there is some orange mixed
    in. During the winter the red color of the previous seasons growth is very nice against a snowy background.
    Katsura has two other attributes that contribute to its' number one rating.
    1. Because the branches are pendulous Katsura is very easy to propagate by layering. I have produced at least
    a dozen new Katsuras by this method.
    2. Katsura does not come true from seed (as is the case with all named varieties) but it does produce a lot
    of yellow foliaged seedlings. These seedlings have larger, coarser leaves than Katsura and tend to grow much
    faster and much more upright. But they are very pretty trees. I never have any trouble giving away potted
    seedlings.

Acer palatum dissectum 'filigree' also called 'filigree lace'. Small, slow growing dissectum. At 15 years of
    age mine is less than five feet tall and wide. Small, dainty, bright green foliage. The leaves actually have
    a lot of small pale spots on a green background but you almost need a magnifying glass to see this and
    the overall effect is light green. Fall color is yellor and not especially bright. This tree is just beautiful.
    It does not have bright colors and grows quite slowly but it is always noticed. I planted mine next to
    where I usually sit on my patio because I never tire of looking at it.

Acer shirwasawanum 'Aureum' full moon maple - actually a small to medium sized, slow growing shrub.
    My 10 year old plant is about seven feet tall and four feet wide.
    Spring color is bright yellow for a week or two then fades to grass green. Yellowness is directly
    related to the amount of sun and heat. In full sun the color is eye-popping but does not last long. In partial sun the
    color is yellow with a small amount of green but the color lasts at least two weeks. Developing seeds are
    bright red and held above the foliage. Fall color is a mix of yellow and red and is very eye catching.
    This maple alway looks 'dainty' and shows off best when sited in front of larger, darker plants.

Corallinium - fast growing shrub with predominantly horizontal growth. At one time this plant was the
    highlight of my garden. Three years ago it was four feet high by eight feet wide. It was spectacular when
    it leafed out in the spring. Since then it has been rapidly dying and will probably not make it through this
    summer. Fortunately, I started propagating it by layering many years ago and have a good supply of
    replacements. Fall color is a mixture of reds, not especially bright. There appear to be two different trees sold under this name.
    Mine has bright red spring color
    and has grown more horizontally than vertically. There is another, pictured in Vertrees book, that has
    bright pink foliage and is more upright.

Butterfly - upright shrub, mine is about eight feet tall by three feet wide. This tree is shaped like a broom.
    It has a long, branchless trunk topped by a thicket of upright growing branches. Butterfly has leaves that
    have various amounts of green, pink and cream. New leaves can be completely pink and cream while older leaves
    are green with a cream edge and blotches of cream and pink throughout the leaf. There is not much fall
    color but sometimes the cream areas become all pink.
    I found this maple very
    hard to site in my garden. I moved it four times until I found a place where it did not look like a pink and green
    broom stuck handle-first into the garden. I now looks great in between a Magnolia grandiflora and A.P.'Corallinium'

-=beeky

• pat_t_gardener
    15 years ago

I looking for a red, lace leaf, dwarf (5-6'Tall and wide, when mature), cascading japanese maple, that can handle full sun. Can anyone tell me the names of some dwarfs? My friend has one but doesn't know the name of it. Actually, hers receives morning sun only and does well, but I need one for full sun.

• dawgie
    15 years ago

This is an OLD thread. Funny how your tastes (or experiences) change. When I originally posted on this thread, I had 4 varieties of Japanese maples. Now I have about 20. Here are my current favorites:

-- Shindeshojo because it has grown well for me and continually changes, bright red in early spring, then orange-red, then green and bright red again in fall.
    -- Beni ubi gohan is the best of several linearilobum varieties I have. It's the most dwarf, which I like, but has grown well for me. Color is a bright cherry red in spring turning to burgundy, and it keeps its color all summer long.
    -- Autumn Moon is another changling that varies with the seasons. It has a lot of rose/orange in the leaves in early spring and then turns more of a golden yellow green. Will keep more rose/red in the leaves if grown in the sun. Brilliant fall color, and nice layered form.
    -- Kamagata is my favorite dwarf variety so far. Nice lacy leaves with red tinges along the edges. Mine has grown more quickly than I expected but no long shoots to throw things off balance. Brilliant fall color, and supposed to by extremely hardy. I'm planning to grow mine in a container as long as possible.
    -- Seiryu. I bought this maple because so many people recommended it and have not been disappointed. It has grown faster than any of my varieties, and quickly developed into a nicely shaped 6' tall tree. Has a feathery appearance with light green leaves with red tinges on the edges and brilliant orange/red fall color.

Disappointments:
    -- Red Dragon has grown so slowly for me that it is frustrating. In 4 years it has grown only about 6 inches and has yet to develop a weeping form. Nice red color all season, however.
    -- Acontifolium is the only one of my maples that the deer have attacked, which has greatly hindered its growth and appearance. I finally moved it from my yard into a pot last fall, so I can keep it on my deck away from the deer. It has hardly put on any growth this spring, and I hope it survives. It once was a beautiful tree, and its problems are due to the deer, not the tree.
    -- Garnet has had the opposite problem of Red Dragon for me. It has grown too quickly, so doesn't have the dwarf appearance I expected from a dissectum. Mine grew so much in 3 years that I had to move it from the original location. The other disappointment is that it doesn't hold its red color very well, although that could be largely due to its location. Apparently it can handle a lot of sun and will keep its color better in the sun, and mine was in a very shady spot. If you want a fast growing dissectum for a sunny location, however, Garnet is a great choice.

• pauln
    15 years ago

5. Shishigashara or "lion's head" really nice gnarled oddity that is looking better and better every year.

4. Beni Kawa, a lighter version of the coral bark that has a much more open shape than the sango kaku. Nice light green foliage color in summer which blends in my woodland garden much better than the reds.

3. Atrolinare, a bamboo leafed cultivar with a striking shape. Hope the meter reader doesn't think it's an illegal plant.

2. Aconitifolium, Acer japonicum with huge leaves, slow growth and amazing autumn.

1. Katsura, has nice yellow/orange spring color which really lights up in my shady garden. My small tree has grown quite a bit since I put it out 2 years ago.

0. I know I've gone over my limit, but it is hard to beat viridis, the tried and true green dissectum. The form is amazing and the bright yellow fall colors flecked with splashes of red is a sight to behold.

Since I got bitten by the Japanese maple bug, I've had good luck with ebay in the winter. The trees are usually small, but for $20 I can get a rare tree delivered for much less than local nurseries. When I have a variety I know I want, I just take my time till one comes for sale. Small trees seem to grow faster up to a point, and I'm not in any big hurry. Of course, it's nice to pick out the individual in a lineup, but I generally can't buy many of these varieties here without dropping big bucks. Of course, buying during dormant period may lead to mis-identified plants. This happened a while back when I ordered "tsuma gaki" and ended up with plain jane red. I contacted the nursery and after a minor bit of determination, they sent the right one. It had already leafed out, but it was early enough in the season to ship without dammage.

• thistle5
    15 years ago

This is difficult, but I'll go with (today)

1) Kinran
    2) Germaine's Gyration
    3) Scolopendrifolium
    4) Jiro Shidare
    5) viridis-Waterfall

Many of the others (most are small plants) could place in this list, at any given time. I've only lost a few, but the ones I have, continue to give me great pleasure, & I look forward to seeing them grow...

• herman_neutics
    15 years ago

Aratama
    Okushimo
    A.S. Palmatifolium
    A.J. Aka omote
    Osakazuki

• aussie-mif
    15 years ago

Well, I've only just started with JM, have wanted one for years and years and now have the spot. I got an Osakazuki. Like some of you have said, the most amazing autumn colour. It's in the ground and I hope it makes it through the winter.
    This thread has been going on for ages and makes for great reading. Wish my tree luck!!

• bigkamagata
    15 years ago

I have a little hobby collecting and selling japanese maple trees. I have over 300 different varieties of large sized japanese maple trees, see amazingmaples. I would say the trees which catch most people eyes are

Ukigumo
    Orange Dream
    Shindeshojo
    Kamagata
    Mikawa yatsubusa

During cetain times of the year there are trees like Iijima sunago, AJ Otaki and AS 6910 which stand out above these trees but a 10' tall 12' wide shindeshojo stops more cars. Then again when people see a mature Mikawa yatsubusa their comment is always" I will take THAT ONE".

• firefightergardener
    15 years ago

A.P. 'Vic's Broom' - Stunning color year round on this very dwarf globe.

A.P. Shin Deshojo - The brightest red year round bar none.

A.S. 'Auream' - full moon maple, brilliant orange/red hues on this coveted tree.

A.J. Aconitifolium - needs no introduction

A.P. Shishigashira - also needs no introduction

• cloud_shine
    15 years ago

I'm a 'newbie' as far as JMs go, but here are my favorites (so far):

1. Goshiki Kotohime
    2. Mikawa Yatsabusa
    3. Shishigashira
    4. Kinran
    5. Aconitifolium

• maryhawkins99
    14 years ago

shirazz, osakasuki, red emperor, orange dream, beni kawa

but its hard to leave out viridis, oshio bene, fireglow, shin deshojo

• mishael
    14 years ago

'Butterfly' - Thos tree gave me the most beautiful Fusia colored leaves this spring. It's odd to think I have a PINK Tree.
    'Orange Dream' - Thisone brightens up my rear landscape backyard. Rarey do I see the dreamy part of this orange trea, but I know it's there.
    'Orangeola' - This is the showpiece of my backyard. I prune it a litte mid-summer just to see the Brightest Red New growth poke it's head out.
    'Seiryu' - If you blink in the winter, you'll miss the day it changes it's color.
    'Ukigamo'

• sara_waitstill
    13 years ago

Hi - I live in Topeka, Kansas (just on the border between zones 5 & 6) and we're considering planting a Japanese maple in a semi-couryard indentation at the front of our house. It would be semi-protected by large cedars (about 15 feet away) from SW winds. I'd like it to be small (ideally 15' or less at maturity), very open and horizontal, and as hardy as possible. Any suggestions?
    Sara

• guybro_gmail_com
    12 years ago

Hello,
    I was just wondering if there are any ways to acquire some of these beautiful tress without the exhorbitant prices that are asked araound here? I have been out of work for some time, and so have time to beautify my property, but not the means that they ask for these lovely trees. I have several areas that dwarf maples would fit quite well, and would also like some ideas of ones that might grow well by the side of the 1/2 acre pond on my property. The wildlife that visits is incredible.
    I would love to be able to afford some smaller trees and give them the time and love to grow.
    Any ideas or help would be very appreciated. I do not expect trees for free, but would hope to find some that this business climate has left me in the poorer position to afford.
    Thank you for any suggestions or help you may offer.

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

The internet may be your best bet. Try EBAY. You can find rare maples for $5-20 each. That said, they will be twigs, one or two year grafts usually. If you have time and a little bit of money, this is your best bet.

• Gayle0108_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

My five favorite Japanese maple cultivars are: MURASAKI KIYOHIME: It's a beautiful low growing green palmate. It reaches about 3-4 feet but can get up to 6-10 feet wide. SHIN DESHOJO: This is a magnificent cultivar. It reaches about 10 feet tall and 6 feet wide. In the spring it has a bright pinkish red color. BENI SHI EN: This cultivar was discovered by Harold Johnson in a small Alabama town of Tallassee. I knew Mr. Johnson and he introduced me to grafting Acer's. Beni shi en is a beautiful specimen. It was a mutation off of a red seedling Mr. Johnson had. It reaches about 18 feet tall and us excellent choise for a landscape. SHISHIGASHIRA: This variety is priced for its bunched up leaves. It turns a bright orange in the fall. This cultivar reaches about 20 feet tall. SHOJO NOMURA: Is one of the best red palmates on the market. It is a light red in the spring turning a darker red later in the year. It reaches about 16 feet tall.

• takeitfor4
    12 years ago

Help! First-timer to the Japanese Maple realm. Looking for good prospect to surprise my husband with for his 50th b-day. We live in central Mass. I'm looking for a maple that is taller than a shrub with a distinct trunk and height between 12-18 ft. (as show stopper in our now bare front yard). Considering Aconitifolium or Osakazuki. Any thoughts? Pros & cons of each? We love the "traditional" fall colors, so trying to match our choice to that as well.

• Spacehog
    11 years ago

I am really brand new to Japanese Maples and to gardening in general. It seems almost silly for me to already give my top 5 favorites, but I will anyway. I just may think better of my list at some point and give a new one. I will say that I have read a lot about Japanese Maples since my interest was piqued, so I do have some education. But, well, you tell me what you think...

In no particular order:

Yama Hime (dwarf with very small green leaves with red border)
    Kuro Hime (dwarf with dark green leaves that are red when they are new leaves)
    Shuminagashi (a tree that has red leaves spring/summer/fall. I like the leaf shape better than bloodgood)
    Moonrise (which I'm told is very similar to Autumn Moon)
    Ryusen (A really strange one that needs to be trained to an arbor or something similar to get it to stand up. Very pretty leaves though)

Shishigashira and Wills Devine gets honorable mention. I would maybe have put my dissectum tree on this list, but I have no idea what kind it is. Maybe I'll post some pictures and see if I can get it identified at some point.

• aljoedfro
    9 years ago

1. Seiryu
    2. Ukigumo
    3. Butterfly
    4. Baldsmith
    5. Fairy Hair

• dgz64
    7 years ago

I'm really new to JM's. Just started acquiring them last September so the ones I have (10 total so far) haven't been through a full season, but I'm really looking forward to seeing these five in the spring:

1) Sango Kaku - spotted this one at a local nursery and it blew me away. Got it for half price and the bark has been outstanding all winter)

2) Autumn Moon - it was beautiful in the fall

3) Peaches and Cream

4) Butterfly

5) Seiryu

• Todd C
    7 years ago

Well this is an old revived thread... I think we did one similar recently. Kashima, fireglow, orangeola, yasemin, johnnies pink. Right now I'm thinking about kuro hime. Ive also always been interested in kamagata and Mikasa yatsubusa.

• brownest_thumb
    6 years ago

yeah yeah i know... but couldn't resist.

(Yellow) 1)Aureum for graceful leaf shape and color (runner up Jordan/Katsura/Summer Gold)

(dissectum) 2) Seiryu for its soft light green elegant leaves and vase growth habit

(Laceleaf) 3) koto no ito for beautiful weeping habit (followed closely by villa taranto and Aekans Le's with its great purple bark)

(variegated) 4) Peve Multicolor variegation on this one is inconsistent. BUT the bark is spectacular at least mine is - a light blueish silvery color. Underrated. (ukigomo)

(pink) 5) Geisha - Terrific pink color. (also GGW. Taylor I like but killed 2 already - too fickle)

(bark) 6) Acer Griseum ( runner up snakebark phoenix/joe witt/Murasaki Shikibu PINK STRIPED BARK!!!)

HONORABLE MENTION - Amagi Shigure/Olsens Frosted.

Must stop....

• mblan13
    6 years ago

Shishi Yatsabusa. This year most of the leaves were the size of the finger nail!!!

Mayno No Sato. Green and purple...'nuff said!

Koto No Ito. I like the name 'Hippy Fin Mo' better, but this tree is a bit fuller.

Orangeola, If you get the light just right, the leaves stay red and green.

Autumn Moon. Love the brick red top and chartreuse lower/interior.

• Molly Dickson
    6 months ago

I have two acres, so I have stopped at 21 japanese maples. A few are in containers.

koto no ito

waterfall

Kasagiyama

seriyu

hogyoku

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    6 months ago

Molly, those are gorgeous trees and such coloring, nice landscaping as well! Oh, some might jump in with ruffled feathers of this being a very old thread, but who cares of old or new, it's the sharing that counts!

• Molly Dickson
    6 months ago

My older brother introduced me to them in my early twenties. He had a japanese maple and rare and unusual conifer nursery in Oregon. he passed about 11 years ago, but I planted them in his memory. I never get over how beautiful they are!

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 months ago

Special people and special plants to which meaningful memories are attached. Sounds like your brother certainly had built a name for himself in the nursery trade.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?