Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimjanco

October glory

jimjanco
10 years ago

All. I purchased this October glory last July. Lowes was basically going to throw it away and I hate to see trees thrown out. That said, I've never grown maples before and in the summer heat needed to plant in haste. So question I'm looking for help with:

1. Is it to close to my patio? You can see retaining wall in pic. Ab five feet
2. Looks like pruning is needed? Kind of odly shaped....what do u think?
3. What can I do in year two to boost its growth a bit?

Thanks!!!

Comments (3)

• clancy87
    10 years ago

That looks about right were you have planted it. I use these on landscaping jobs quite alot as there fast growing at about 18 to 20 inchs a year, And there very hardy in most climates. I think its fine but would leave it till all the leafs are out to get a better picture of it before pruning.

• sam268
    10 years ago

I would suggest you to prune it now when you can see the branching clearly plus you want all the food and growth to direct to the top and not waste is energy on branches that is going to be removed

Just make 2 big cuts all the way back at the trunk and review next winter/spring.
    I would remove the complete lowest bottom left long branch that is curving up. Next another long branch at the top right. Remove it back to the trunk so you have a single leader tree pointing up and a nice balance tree.
    Hope you can show us another pic.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

This year's new spring growth will be fueled by energy stored in the branches. The more branches you cut off the less energy there will be for new growth at this time.

Whippy uneven branching is typical of the species, I would not cut a lot out of it trying to force a stereotype idea of what it should look like onto the tree.

Maybe there is a branch or two that it would be improved by losing in the early years, I'd rather be on the site walking around the tree and studying it before deciding if this was possible.

If you do not want a full sized (60 ft. plus) tree in that location then maybe it should be moved to another place. The best way to get it to grow well is to provide a large, mulched, grass-free area around it.

And keep it watered during dry spells.

If foliage color seems poor fertilization may be called for also; you lawn definitely looks starved so if you address that the tree will be exposed to fertilizer nutrients at the same time - and may not need its own, separate fertilization.

If it was in poor condition at planting it may not necessarily bounce back later, end up being pulled out - include this outcome in your range of anticipated possibilities.

I have had multiple bargain shrubs never amount to anything and get jerked - sad plants aren't always a good deal, by any means.

And at big box plant departments here there seems to be a high probability of the tree not being what the label says.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor