Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When can I transplant a Japanese Maple?

Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 20:18

I have a young Bloodgood Japanese maple that was probably 2 years old when I saved it from Lowes. I planted it in the back corner of my yard over a year ago, but now would like to move it inside the fence where it will be seen. It's still a little tree and budding right now (maybe 4' tall and kind of scrawny). Can I move it now or should I wait until all the leaves are blooming before moving it? The buds look tight (slightly behind in the spring cycle compared to the other Japanese Maples in my yard). It needs to move sooner than later because I have some wisteria to take its current location over and no where else to plant the wisteria.

It is the tree in the way back of this picture from last October:

From 102308

I would appreciate some advise. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When can I transplant a Japanese Maple?

• Posted by bencjedi 6 - Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 20:30

I think I found my answer and it is ASAP given that the buds have not opened or swelled. Great forum here!

Here is a link that might be useful: When is a good time to transplant a Japanese

o

Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 0:01

The tree seems to have taken to it's new home and the buds are swelling and starting to open. Only problem is we're due for 2 nights of below freezing temps. It appears all my Japanese Maples decided to bloom earlier than last year. What's the best way to cover them up to protect their tender leaves? My Fireglow on the front lawn is my largest tree and survived last year's hard freeze with black plastic and stakes underneath to give the bag something to stick onto.

Last year I did this:

From 041408

I might do the same since it worked. Pain in the butt to do this, but That's the 2nd tree out front and I don't want to lose another one. I have 5 Japanese Maples now, so that's 5X the effort this year. :(

o

• Posted by picea 6A Cinci- Oh (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 10, 09 at 22:01

Don't put plastic over the plants, it will cause more problems. If the leaves are not out on the plants and the buds are just starting to open I wouldn't cover them unless its doing to be a very hard freeze. 28-29 degrees won't hurt them at this stage.

David

o

Sat, Apr 11, 09 at 2:04

David, you're late by a few days. The freezing overnight temps (and snow) rolled through earlier in the week. The photo in my previous post is from a year ago. What I forgot to mention is that there is a comforter wrapped around the tree first and the plastic over it to protect it from the rain and getting soaked (removed the net day). I did the same thing earlier this week and all 5 Japanese Maples are looking great and seemed to get the leafing process accelerated by the 2-day coverings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here