Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
true color of 'Jordan'

Posted by davidrt28 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 20:39

Hello. A couple days ago I bought an Acer 'Jordan' at the wonderful Colesville Nursery of central Virginia. This was a nice sized plant for $60. They've gotten a little more expensive recently, but are still a bargain compared to nurseries in the northeast corridor. (of nurseries that focus on high quality, selective plant material, which is the only kind I'd deal with)
I was a little worried though, when I said I'd wanted it because it had yellow foliage and a guy helping me with loading it paused for a second and said he had one and that it was "more like chartreuse." It was, IIRC, promoted as a more heat-tolerant substitute for 'Aureum'. I was researching this issue w/google later that day. Apparently one of the earliest posts about it, back in 2007 at the UBC forums, says that it doesn't color well _unless_ it gets close to full sun. Is that the general experience growers here on gardenweb have had? Maybe this guy planted his in heavy shade, thinking a Japanese maple needed that. And that's why he thought it was a lime or chartreuse color?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: true color of 'Jordan'

Hi David, Acer shirasawanum 'Jordan' and also 'Autumn Moon' are more heat tolerant that 'Aureum'. Sometimes the color is hard to describe. My Jordan is on the north side of my house and is a yellow/ light orange color,but is potted up and that can make a difference. The yellow Japanese maple that has worked the best for me in southern Md. heat and humidity is Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold'.
Best of luck
Al

o
RE: true color of 'Jordan'

Thanks Alley_cat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here