Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Don't discard molded JM seeds!

Posted by marchela Z6, NJ (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 08 at 21:32

I wanted to try to grow JM from seeds just for fun. I purchased the seeds from an ebay seller, and followed the provided instructions. To my disappointment, when a month later I took the bags from the fridge to check it, I discovered that all seeds were covered in a white substance - mold. The fist thought was "OK, I lost 10 bucks, lets throw them to the garbade.." But then I though "what if...". I opened zippered bags, put them back to the fridge, and forgot about them. It was month and a half ago. A week ago I checked the bags again. O my God! There were SOOOO.. many sprouted seeds! I planted those seeds and they are now about 0.5 - 1 inch. And I have even more sprouted seeds in bags now. So, never discard any molded seeds - you never know! Just want to add that I didn't use any fungicide, as was recommended on this forum, and I used potting soil for African Violets! :)
Was I just lucky?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Don't discard molded JM seeds!

It will not generally stop them from sprouting, but we can often lose them later if fusarium or botrytis (spelling?) are present. Try to keep them from staying to moist after you have sewn them and that should help keep it from becoming a problem.

o
RE: Don't discard molded JM seeds!

THANK YOU!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here