Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Prune or Not to Prune?

Posted by raymondo17 z9 Sacramento (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 5, 11 at 21:35

I have a Sangokaku Japanese Maple that, to my eye, looks like it needs some pruning. My wife, on the other hand, likes the way it looks and wants me to leave it alone. So I come to you fine gardeners to solicit your advice: Prune or don't prune?

If prune, any advice on approach would be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Tree in Question

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Prune or Not to Prune?

Nice tree.

I might be tempted to get out the small bypass pruners and take off a couple of them tiny branches which will grow towards the ground and any rubbing branches. Looks like a good tree to me also though. I'm thinking maybe four, five cuts. Small stuff.

What were you thinking about doing?

o

Toronado, I have other Japanese Maples, but this Sangokaku seems to have many, many more tiny branches than the others, resulting in a heavily leaf-laden tree. Maybe this isn't a problem, but sometimes to my eye it just seems very leaf-heavy.

Also, as I understand it, the red bark is only apparent on new branches, so I thought that pruning of older wood on a Sangokaku would be beneficial.

Those are my thoughts as to why I might want to break out the shears.

o

Not being an expert of Japanese Maples, I only want to add that I agree with Toronado. No major pruning. I think the tree has a beautiful shape and surely must be gorgeous when leafed out.
James Maloy

o

I have one about 7 ft tall with more of a central trunk like a tree, not as bushy as this one. Mine has only been in the ground about 3 years. It's central leader is red, and all the stem growth. Only part that is not red (coral), is below the graft.

Pruning is a matter of taste, but I would definately take out any branches rubbing on another.

Otherwise very pretty tree, will be happy when mine fills out somemore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here