Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which Red Maple to get?

Posted by lavender88 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 22:34

We need to replace a tree in the front yard that we lost in a storm, it was a big maple, not sure which kind.

So this time we want something smaller and with fall color.

I don't know if we will go with a maple, but I seen these at our local store and was wondering if anyone knows how big they really get. It will be in full sun and we have clay soil, zone 5.

October Glory
Red Sunset
Red Maple Sun Valley
Red Maple Brandywine
Autumn Blaze Maple

I'm not sure if you can go by the labels, I've looked at alot of sites and came up with all different answers. So any input would help. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which Red Maple to get?

Not sure about red sunset or brandywine but I know the other three get just as big as most large maples such as tridents. If you are looking for something a little more exotic (and smaller in size) that will withstand full sun exposure I recommend Fireglow (which is a Japanese cultivar). It has a nice red color all summer, not only has a great fall color (with shade of reds and orange tints) but has a excellent spring color with matching if not better bright reds. It also only gets about 6-10 feet tall being way smaller than the ones you mentioned. You can find some good images by doing a google search.

Backyardgardener.com is a good site that has a lot of info on all of the above mentioned Maples and is very reliable in its information (link posted under link URL).

Here is a link that might be useful: Back Yard Gardener

o
RE: Which Red Maple to get?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 11, 11 at 13:24

Trident maple is not a large-growing (60'+) maple. Red and Freeman maples are.

'Fireglow' I would not count on to remain only 10' tall. That is not even out of the shrub size range. True, Japanese maples are slow-growing. But if one of these eventually exceeds a space there is no attractive way to whack it back.

Amur maple might suit your purposes. The main thing I have against use of it in my area is that the spent fruits often persist on the tree for a long time. I don't want to look at dead brown junk for months, one of the main reasons to plant a deciduous tree should be its winter aspect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here