Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my tree won't grow

Posted by celiatav 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 22:53

Our maple was planted along with several others in our neighbourhood about 5 years ago but we noticed it has only about half the leaves and doesn't appear to grow from one year to the next. It is also the first to change colors in early Fall. Why is my tree's growth stunted? The leaves [large, green] and bark appear health [no spots, changes in texture etc.]. What can I do to help it along??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my tree won't grow

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 0:12

Not enough information here to tell what, specifically is wrong with it - something you need to determine before effective action can be taken.

Same as with medical problems. If you are in the US, maybe there is a local USDA Cooperative Extension Service office where you can get diagnostic assistance. Try searching the web for "[your state] extension".

o
RE: my tree won't grow

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 11:36

Oops, not "USDA Cooperative Extension Service" but the Extension Service office connected with your state's land-grant university.

But since you're in Canada, would be to local agricultural authority.

I suspect it has a root problem which may have existed prior to planting, one that's limiting uptake of water and fertilizer elements. Drought-stress is one reason tress get "fall" color too early in the year..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here