Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kbguess_gw

Shirasawanum 'Moonrise' photo

kbguess
13 years ago

My 2nd spring with this plant. The characteristic red spring leaves didn't show up for the 1st several leaf pairs.

I am excited to see how this will look in 4 or 5 years as the tree gets some size.

Keith

Comments (12)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

That's a beauty. I have Autumn Moon. It was looking great and then a deer came by and ate almost 4/5 the leaves and most of the branches. Mine's in the ground though. Tons of deer tracks around my place currently...

Here's this spring's leaf of Autumn Moon:
    {{gwi:693133}}

Later bro,

Dax

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Same tree:
    (punks!)

I hope it tasted good!

Dax

• kbguess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dax,

I feel your pain. I lost most of a 3 ft Hoopsii and all of a Bush's lace to antler rubbing in the fall. I have decided I will have to put up chicken wire around all the plants from Nov to April.

I have a plan for getting maples into the unfenced part of my yard. I am going get seedling palmatum up to 6 or 7 feet and then top graft. My friend has been top working his maples and it seems pretty easy.

Either that or put a fence around the whole place which is too $$

Take care

Keith

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Believe it or not, I'm going to each month purchase fence 6' and surround my six acres. I figure I really do not have any other choice.

I'll bet your heart skipped a beat when you lost your Bush's Lace. Luckily these are easy to find now.

Thanks for the tip man. It may become useful to me, I don't know. I've stored it in my noggin!

Take care,

Dax

• flowerchild59
    13 years ago

You could always take up archery.
    Great pics.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

I've had to put up fence around small trees at my parents in law's house. I made a mistake of leaving a bald cypress out in the open and when I got up early in the morning only to see that deer was munching on the cypress. Needless to say, I replaced it with another cypress (they never even watered the first one in the middle of severe drought so it died anyway).

Dax - I can't imagine putting up that much fence around 6 acres... will that will keep deer out? I've seen deer jump over 4 feet fence with no problems. The real problem is them rubbing antlers on the trunks which obviously can do a lot of damages. I don't see how JMs can survive on their own as they don't really get very large enough. I walk around the neighborhood at my PILs and I don't see much of landscaping...

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

deer love rubbing on our suburban trees which are limbed up and left in the middle of a lawn like we're setting them out there for deer to find.

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Heya Lou,

Fencing is the best form of protection from deer. They can jump a 6' fence but it's more un-likely that they won't. Especially a flagged fence - orange or pink flags/flagging tape every 20 feet or so.

Rich Eyre at Rich's Foxwillow Pines nursery has one large section of his plants fenced at 6' but also has an electrical fence too. This I know nothing about. His electrical 'band' is above the fence, itself.

You get my email Lou? If not I wanted to tell you that my Acer truncatum Fire Dragon shot two buds off the side and I simply clipped off the rest of the tree. I'm so happy it's alive and gonna be ok.

Dax

• jayco
    13 years ago

Dax -- I know how you feel, the buggers used to eat all my stuff too. Liquid Fence works very well, if sprayed regularly. It might be a good interim treatment until you get your literal fence up.

• ltruett
    13 years ago

Dax,

How long have you had your Fire Dragon? I tried one in Wisconsin and died back. I haven't been back so I don't know if it came back above the graft or not. I also tried growing seedlings from a "northern range" of shantung maples but last I knew they kept dying back to the snow line. I'm waiting for an update here soon.

• kbguess
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Another photo from today, May 15. Red is increasing in the past 3 weeks. Older growth now showing a lot of color. Full sun Iowa, though it has been a cool and wet spring.

Keith

• mjsee
    13 years ago

Dear are heinous beasts. I say we re-introduce mountain lions and timberwolves...

I can't fence my property in anyway that I can live with...so I've got permanent chicken wire cages around my trunks and I spray deer repellent on a weekly basis. (I Must Garden). So far so good. here is my 'Waterfall':
    {{gwi:30791}}

My 'Green Hornet':
    {{gwi:30789}}
    And my Aconitifolium last fall:

Those are the only pics I have uploaded. I'll have to load some more sometime soon.

Seriously...we have pretty heavy deer pressure here in Chapel Hill and I've had good luck with the sprays...as long as I'm CONSISTENT.

melanie