Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Just Don;t Want It To Die

Posted by mrclose 7 va (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 1:39

I Know, It sounds silly but, 'There Is' a story behind my/our Japanese Maple that has me in panic mode right now.

I am eighty nine years old and the woman that I met and married seven years ago is eighty three years old.

THIS beautiful japanese maple was the very first thing that we purchased together.

We both knew, 'and know' that we wont be around very much longer and, we just wanted to leave the world a better place .. we wanted to plant this little maple, watch it grow and flourish for as long as we can and then .. well, you know.

Brenda and I can pass on thinking that even though we met so late in life .. TOGETHER, We left the world .. a Beautiful Memory of us.

sorry
please allow an old man .. his follies.

Mc

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Just Don;t Want It To Die

Mr. Close: Your post is very touching. Your tree will not die in this cold. The leaves may fall and not make it for this Spring, but the tree itself will not die. I live in Virginia also and have wrapped one of my Japanese maples, but only one, the one I planted in memory of my mother, and the others are on their own. I know what you mean about not wanting it to die.

Let us know today or tomorrow how your tree looks. The worst night was last night with another cold one coming up tonight, but it won't be as cold. Take care.

Shadygrove

o

• Posted by ademink z6 Indianapolis (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 07 at 15:45

Mr. Close - how is your tree doing? Andrea

o

We have drought water restrictions, one of my maples probably gets more sun than it should, and I watered it with seaweed solution which I realised must have been too strong because it was from the bottom of the bottle. My maple looked very sick for a few weeks . . . and then it started sending out new growth.

Mr Close, I hope your maple will be doing better soon.

Shadygrove, I hope your mother's maple will be enjoying beautiful spring weather soon.

o

Mrclose,

Perhaps you are lucky enough to have seedlings of your tree that you could give to family or friends. That helps some.
I wish it were easy to graft JM's since I have some rather fine specimens that I would like to propagate.

o

I too have a special japanese maple, it bloomed out beautifuly in march and this cold spell in april has turned 98% of the leaves brown. I know it won't be pretty this year, but wonder if I should trim it and how will I know if it is going to make it?

o

My maple was affected by heat, etc rather then cold but I didn't prune it. I decided I'd helped enough with my overdose of seaweed solution and maybe it was time to just wait and see.

As you are going into spring I'm wondering if you should refrain from pruning because some trees have early rising sap? I heard something about this somewhere and forgot about it and one spring I pruned a few branches of my Trident Maple that were going across the path. The sap oozed for days but the tree was okay, it was quite an established one though. Anyway, maybe someone can clarify how important this is? I'm just a novice.

Hope the weather is being kinder to you all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here