Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laperouse

Designing with Acer palmatum

laperouse
16 years ago

I am new to Acer palmatum and just bought an Acer palmatum "Villa Taranto" which from the pictures in the catalog looked simply stunning (I think ultimate height and width is 8x8). Now my problem is where to plant it in my garden. I wonder what would go well with this plant. Should I plant it in front of conifers? What kind of plant background would look good? I would like for it to be part of a mixed border I am creating. Any suggestions? Does anyone have design pictures to share of what their JM (similar type) looks like in the garden (not close-up pictures of plants)?

Marianne

Comments (3)

• dawgie
    16 years ago

Since Villa Taranto is lacy in appearance with red leaves, look for companion plants that will contrast in appearance -- either in texture or color. Contrasting textures would be plants with larger leaves, such as hostas or acubas. Hostas look very nice near JMs, if it is in a shady spot (or at least no afternoon sun).

Villa Taranto will change in color from red in spring to greenish in summer, so keep that in mind. The colors might not show up well if it is planted next to dark green conifers. I would look for companion plants that are lighter green or gold in color. I've got my Villa Taranto planted more as a specimen with low-growing ornamental grasses (Blue fescue) planted nearby. I've got hostas, mondo grass and dwarf crested iris planted near other JMs in my yard.

• laperouse
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Dawgie! It sounds like you have had your Acer VT for at least a year? How much shade do you have yours in? What is it's growth rate? Do you know what it's ultimate spread is? I seem to remember that it will get about as wide as it will get tall? Hostas sounds nice (maybe some chartreuse-coloured ones?) - I was thinking of golden carex as well. What colour do the leaves turn in the fall? Do you happen to have a picture of yours?

Sorry, this is a lot of questions, but for some odd reason, I have a difficult time picturing this plant in my garden - maybe because my garden is somewhat "relaxed" in style rather than formal (which is what I associate JMs with), but there's got to be a way to fit this beauty in !

Marianne

• dawgie
    16 years ago

I've had my Villa Taranto about 4 years. I bought it as a newly grafted tree, grew it in a pot for several years and planted it in the ground last spring. It has been slow growing so far, which I actually prefer because I've planted it in a bed where it hopefully won't get too large. The drought last summer kept it from growing much last year, but it survived. The location is pretty much full sun, and it handles the sun just fine. Full sun also means it keeps the red color in the leaves longer. When it was potted, I had it on my deck, which is shadier, and the leaves would turn green in the summer. In the fall, the leaves turned golden.

I have several other linearlobum varieties -- Koto no ito (green), Beni ubi gohan (red), Beni otake (red). I really like them because of their fine texture, like a dissectum, but most don't tend to weep. My VT is only about 18" to 2' tall when fully leafed out. I have seen some larger ones in a nursery (3-4' tall) and they had a more upright form than most dissectum varieties. What I like about VT is the changing leaf color.

My favorite linearlobum right now is Beni ubi gohan. It is supposed to be the smallest linear variety, but mine has grown faster than the VT. The new growth is an intense cherry red and it keeps its color all summer long, turning scarlet red in the fall. Koto no ito is also beautiful and reminds me of a miniature weeping willow (it does weep, unlike most linears).

Funny, I don't associate Japanese maples with formal gardens -- just the opposite. Most tend to develop very unique and interesting shapes, or you can train them to a particular form. I don't have a good photo to post right now, but go to this web page and mouse over the top photo -- that is a good shot of what a VT looks like both in form and color when growing in the sun.

http://www.worldplants.com/villat.htm

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County