Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa13_gw

leaves won't unfurl

lisa13
12 years ago

Hi all, I have a new (potted) Tsuma gaki and I am a bit concerned as I've never seen this behavior before.

The leaves seem to have come out of their buds but they are not unfurling. I would estimate the buds burst 2 weeks ago, but since then, no progress. The leaves are 1.5-2 inches long but they are still tightly rolled and don't seem to be opening at all.

Leaf color is good and has remained rather constant. The edges are red as expected, centers green, they just won't open!

I am a wee bit concerned about the soil being too moist as while it drains well (no standing water) it has been raining a lot and I would say the pot has been constantly very moist over most of the last weeks. Could this leaf response indicate a moisture problem?

Alternately, we had a very warm start for March, but in the last weeks the temps have dropped again, so maybe this has slowed the normal leaf out process?

I don't get it. Ideas are very welcome :)

Comments (4)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Pictures, please. Overall & close-up.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

I have a LOT of stalled maples right now that are just starting to move with the coming of some recent warm weather. We had a week of temps in the 80s & low 90s in early - mid March that got my deciduous stuff pushing so hard I had to take a week off to do repots. After the repots were done, it turned cold again and everything just sat there until this past week when we finally got some warmer nights & days in the 60s. Remember you're on tree time and that they're reactive organisms. Over-watering usually results in a typical drought response, which includes burned leaf edges. Frankly, over-watering isn't going to affect first flush much anyway. If you pruned off a few branches & stuck them in water, you'd still get good leaf-out. The energy leaves use for that first push is stored as starch/carbohydrates at the base of the buds. All that's needed for branches to push the spring flush is water & temps warm enough for growth, which can actually be accomplished absent the roots.

I'm not saying over-watering is nothing to be concerned about - it is. It's a significant issue for containerized trees and should be avoided. I just don't think it's responsible for the stalled growth.

Al

• lisa13
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much for the thorough explanation, Al

I have been pretty careful about choosing a good soil mix, but it's hard for me to know exactly what I'm using: I moved to germany and my german really isn't very good yet ;)

The soil is rather free draining, I've added wicks to ground, and verified that there is not a substantial PWT hanging out in my containers....from the other posts I've read here at gardenweb, I think it's ok actually.

And exactly as you suggested, the weather warmed in the last few days and the leaves popped right open :) Really a great looking tree.

• botann
    12 years ago

I have a lot of Maples in pots and in the ground. Some friends were looking at them the other day and suggested I water them because, to them, the leaves looked wilted, when only they were just opening up. They came by today and remarked that I must have watered them as they were looking a lot better. :-)

{{gwi:1036809}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus