Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkfisher_gw

I want to do this right..........

bkfisher
17 years ago

Given the recent carnage inflicted by mother nature, I want to make certain the next trees I plant are properly placed to ensure long-term success. I have the following on order:

*Coonera Pygmy

*Orange Dream

*Mikawa Yatsubusa

Living in central Indiana where summer temperatures can reach the nineties, my biggest question is how much direct sun can these varieties take? I don't plan on using them all in full sun but if you had to choose one, which would it be? I have a spot with westerly exposure and little shade that is now vacant and needs a new resident tree.

I would prefer to use the Mikawa in this spot but dont' want to burn it up in the dog days.

bkfisher

Comments (7)

• mattlwfowler
    17 years ago

In my experience 'mikawa yatsubusa' seems to hold up well compared to many others (and I'm in south car.). I haven't had my 'orange dream' long enough to give you a good answer there, but from what I can tell it should hold up as good if not better than the 'mikawa yatsubusa'. I would say the 'coonera pygmy' would be the weakest, but I'm going here on what I've read as I don't have it yet.

• dawgie
    17 years ago

Mikawa yatsubusa is extremely slow-growing and dwarf in size, if that has any bearing on your decision. From what I have read, it will only reach 3-4' tall after many years. I have one that I bought as a 1-year graft last spring, and it was the slowest growing of the dozen or so newly grafted JMs I have bought over the past few years. It seemed to handle sun just fine, though, and the sun is hot in NC. It is a very attractive maple, and I'll probably keep mine in a container indefinitely due to its small size and growth rate.

• bkfisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I got the Mikawa in the mail yesterday. I think I got a deal! $45.00 and the tree is three feet tall! Multi-branched too.

bkfisher

• dawgie
    17 years ago

That's a great price for a 3' tall Mikawa. I paid $15 for mine, but it probably will take 5 years or more to reach that size -- which is fine because I plan to keep it on a container anyway. Where did you order your trees from?

I've ordered most of my JMs from Worldplants.com. Their trees are nice and well-packed, but generally small first-year grafts.

• bkfisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It was one of those "buy it now" deals on Ebay. The seller was out of Oregon. He/she still has some deals on Ebay (page6-7???) under "japanese maple". I know one tree they're offering is a Burning Embers.

bkfisher

• bkfisher
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here's a link to that seller's offering of a nice Glowing Embers.

bkfisher

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to maple seller

• mattlwfowler
    17 years ago

I'm personally not overly impressed with 'glowing embers' yet...no special spring or summer color from what I can tell. Supposedly it is spectacular in fall, but I haven't seen this yet so I might change my mind this october. It is supposed to be heat tolerant, so perhaps it still may be of some use.