Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattnova

Proper way to use S.T.E.M. in JM's?

mattnova
15 years ago

I recently purchased 3 bottles of S.T.E.M. to help replace nutrients in my containerized JM's. For those of you that use it, how often do you apply it? Is it fine to use on stressed and healthy trees alike? Do you use it on raised beds as well? I figure many more nutrients are lost in containers so might need more applications per year at least than raised beds? I couldn't locate Micromax but I have the STEM and dyna- gro fertilizer.

My container trees are planted in 3 parts aged pine bark with gypsum, 1 part each of turface, crushed granite and perlite. My raised beds actually have 5 parts bark with gypsum and 1 part grit, 1 part turface, 1 part dolomitic lime and 1 part peat.

Comments (6)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    15 years ago

3 bottles? STEM is sold in fine granular (powder) form. What do you have? I use it on plants in soils that have not been treated with Micromax and I don't use it in combination with soluble fertilizers that contain all the minor elements. Your Dyna-Gro likely does contain them, so check that out. I mix STEM into fertilizer water at the rate of 1/8-1/4 tsp per gallon, depending on the strength of the fertilizer mix which is usually 1/4-1/2 recommend strength.

I'm not sure how the myth that you should not provide nutrients to stressed plants persists, but the practice would be akin to withholding vitamins from your children or pets because they are ill. There is no scientific basis for it unless the nutrients you are supplying are in fact the cause of the initial stress.

If you are growing in a soil (raised beds) that contains 11% dolomitic lime (as you report), I'm afraid you've made a big mistake. Are you certain of your figures?

Al

• mattnova
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Al,
    Thanks for the response. I may use the STEM instead of the fertilizer. I believe it would be less shocking to maples and I don't need the nitrogen if I want nice slow growing and gnarly trees right?
    Yes, I have 3 bottles of STEM, it seems strange but it is powder.

The dolomitic lime is probably 3-5% but it was put in a layer below the raised bed actually. I dug the top layer of grass off, spread lime then 1 inch of aged pine bark with gypsum then built the raised bed on top of that. I doubt the roots will find the lime anytime this year or next. Should I redo the bed?

15 years ago

If your mix is well-aerated, roots will 'find' the lime layer within a few weeks. If the lime was prilled or powdered you sure should redo the bed(s). That is a huge amount of lime! For raised beds, 5 lbs incorporated per cu yd is PLENTY. That much lime's effect on soil pH, nutrient uptake, soil biota . . . won't be favorable - I can say with certainty.

If it's in large pieces, like coarse gravel, you're probably ok, though. Where did you get the notion that you needed that much lime?

Al

• mattnova
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I had seen a post that you wrote dolomitic lime but you didn't specify details on how much. Its actually just a light dusting under the bed, no lime is in the bed. Now that I think about it I just took a few handfuls and "dusted" the area under the bed but it was the powder stuff. I guess I shouldn't put things in I am not sure about. I figured a little would be ok. I listed the thread I mentioned... whoops. My own fault but at least I learned something. I figured it was needed for calcium or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: the link

15 years ago

Matt - Indeed the "few handfuls" is quite different than 11% of the mix, and it (or gypsum) IS needed for the Ca content. ;o)

You'll also notice that in the link the amount of lime was unspecified because the soil ingredients were listed in ratio to each other - not a specific volume. For container and raised bed soils, add 1/3-1/2 cup per cu ft of soil.

Al

• mattnova
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, thats good. Yea, I understood why you did it that way after I went back to look at it. I am still learning so much but feel like I am off to a good start and will keep reading your posts.It nice that people take the time to help others here and I really appreciate the help.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks