Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help choosing a JM- not green or mounded

Posted by BrianaKing 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 8:55

I have the perfect spot for a Japanese maple, and I'm really excited about it! I have been researching for a week, and I'm no closer to choosing one than I was a week ago. My husband doesn't care for the green or green mottled leaf color all summer (prefers red). I love all the colors, but I don't care for the weeping or mounded habit.

I'm in zone 5(on the a/b line), and I will be planting it on the east side of the house where it will be well drained and receive morning sun. It will be 8' below our favorite picture window, so we want it to stay under 10' at most.

Also, is okay to order one online, or is it best to pick it out in person? I'm wondering how careful shipping and online nurseries are in handling.

Please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help choosing a JM- not green or mounded

Have you tried Davidsan's Maple selector?
It's fun and will get you started- link below.
Then browse his site and keep a towel handy to wipe up the drool :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple selector

o

A red leafed maple that stays 10' or less and is not mounded/weeping limits your choices quite a bit! I'd look at 'Pixie', 'Skeeter's Broom', 'Shaina' or 'Fireball'. And you may have to look online for these - these are not the most common cultivars. Most mail order nurseries that specialize in Japanese maples do a great job with packing and shipping. Check the Garden Watchdog if you have any questions about a specific vendor.

You should be aware that zone 5 is considered borderline for these trees so you may want to start small and limit your investment just in case.

o

Keeping in mind that you will want a cold hardy maple, you should look at Acer Shirasawanum 'Kawai' (shirasawa maples may due a little better in colder Z5). This is a truly beautiful little plant. It does have the cut leaves similar to dissectum palmatums, but without the mounding habit. 'Johin' is another shirasawanum that does not have cut leaves; it may get a little bigger, but should still be under 10 feet at 10 years.

This post was edited by maple_grove on Thu, May 2, 13 at 12:57

o

I love Twombly's Red Sentinel (upright tree starts out narrow but then widens), Rhode Island Red and I was just looking at a Shirasawanum called Red Dawn that was beautiful although I can't find accurate size predictions.
There are so many beautiful choices and mail order will give you a great variety (my fave is Topiary Gardens) but if you want to start with a larger size I recommend buying locally.
Be careful because once you see all the beautiful variations you can easily become hooked. I've bought 31 maples this season already!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here