Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cracked trunk on Japanese Maple- any hope

Posted by monicad1030 none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 8:58

Hello- I live in CT and we a horrible winter with several feet of snow and heavy ice. When I was finally able to get to maple (tucked behind a rocky pond). I found the trunk had crack between one main branch and the trunk. The crack was about 2 1/2 inches long with about 1 inch of branch and trunk still attached. On the advice of an arborist my husband bolted the split, which I eastimate was within 2/3 weeks of the crack. I am noticing now the branches attached to the main trunk are sprouting leaves while the branches attached to cracked branch have buds but no leaves. I scraped those branches a little and see green however.

Any chance the broken branch will get leaves? How soon before I give up hope? Anything I do to help it along?

The tree is about six years old.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cracked trunk on Japanese Maple- any hope

How is it coming along? Is this "main branch" like half your tree?

This is a Acer Palmatum we are talking about not a large tree which is going to overhang your bedroom and kill you if it comes apart so you have little to lose with the bolting.

If it doesn't show any activity in a week or two I might just cut it off and let the rest of the tree do fine w/o it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here