Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with JM Size

Posted by edb2n 6B/TN (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 07 at 9:35

I landscaped our new house about three years ago, and at the time knew very little about gardening. I bought a Bloodgood JM because it was beautiful and I knew very little about it except that JM's were "small." Anyway, I planted it in a little nook of the house. It's about a 4'x4' square with house on two sides and sidewalk on two sides. I now know that this tree is way too big for this spot and I never should have planted it there. Having said that, it's beautiful where it is and I would love to leave it. Is that at all possible? Can I root-prune it to slow growth as well as pruning it for size? Or do I need to bite the bullet and move it?

Of course, all that may be moot. I'm waiting to see if it will survive the freeze two weeks ago.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with JM Size

I would wait until late fall or early winter and then move it. Bloodgoods will eventually grow more than 20' tall and just about as wide. You might be able to grow some of the dwarf or threadleaf JM varieties in that spot, such as Kamagata, Mikawa yatsubusa, Koto no ito, Villa taranto, Beni ubi gohan. Most dissectum varieties, although relatively small in height, will grow wider than tall, so I would avoid them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here