Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mwiehn

Final Insult of this past Winter

marcindy
9 years ago

Like many of you we have endured a harsh, long and cold winter this past season here in Indiana. Now, that winter seems to have finally given up it's reign, the damage it has done to my JM, trees, and other shrubs is becoming apparent. My list of confirmed dead includes Beni Kawa, Beni Tsukasa, Inazuma, and A. palmatum Aureum. These were twelve year old trees that are now alive only in the bottom 10 to 12inches that was covered by snow. My 14 year old Ever Red dissectum is reluctant to leave out, which might indicate more damage to be seen later in the season. Acer circinatum 'Sunny Sister' is completely dead, down to the roots.

Strangely enough the much younger Ukigumo, Shigitatsu Sawa, Bloodgood, and Fireglow have come through it without any damage. All my shiraswanum cultivars are also not damaged. The loss of the older more mature cultivars hurts, but it also opens up space to replace them with others I have been wanting to try. Maybe I am just doing self-talk here. Thanks for letting me vent a bit. I hope your trees made it through this past winter in better shape than mine.

On to a new growing season!
Marc

Comments (5)