Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

Laceleaf maple survival odds/help

Olychick
9 years ago

Hi, I recently had some extensive landscaping done and this maple (I've had it for 42 years - so it's probably 45-50 years old) was to be the crown in the jewel. The landscapers dug it and burlap wrapped the roots and replanted it. This was in January/feb this year. I am in the PNW, so it's been wet the whole time.

The tree needs shaping because of its former location, but their tree guy said to wait, that some of the bare branches may rejuvenate. When it started to leaf out, I was so happy, assuming it would survive and it did put out new growth on some bare branches.

Now, that new growth has shriveled and when I was planting beneath it yesterday, many leaves seemed to fall if they were touched. The soil is new and good drainage. It has been WET here in March, but now it's warming up and drying, but my soil is still moist.

Is there anything I can do to increase its chances of survival? It will get some midday sun, but is protected from most of the late afternoon sun. Should I place my patio umbrella to shade it from this little heat wave we are expecting?

Thanks for any hints or hope you can give me.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus