Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldschool_fp

2 trees, one trunk on japanese maple?

oldschool_fp
16 years ago

(The dead branch is from the freeze we had last spring.)

My question is, why are there apparently two different types of jm trees growing from one trunk? What would you do?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: two headed japanese maple

Comments (15)

• dawgie
    16 years ago

This is a very common occurrence with grafted JMs. What has happened is a sucker or new branch has started growing from below the graft, from the rootstock. You should prune off the sucker -- unless you like having a two-headed monster. Over time the sucker could overwhelm the grafted portion.

I pay close attention to my grafted JMs and pinch off any suckers as soon as they start to grow.

• oldschool_fp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is there any way to root the green-leafed side after cutting it off? Feel bad killing it (what a wimp I am!).

• dawgie
    16 years ago

You could air-layer the branch before cutting it off, but it would probably take 6 months or more to develop decent roots. Personally I would go ahead and lop it off. JMs are very difficult to root as cuttings.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Funny. I read that JM is pretty easy to air layer and I saw pictures of it.

Also, there is a nursery that propagates Bloodgood by cuttings and I also saw pictures of it. A lot of them that looked good.

• redneck_grower
    16 years ago

Lou,

Apples vs. oranges. You talked about cutting off the sucker and rooting it after the cut; you're 'taking a cutting'. JM's reportedly don't root easily with cuttings (I've tried, they don't).

Dawgie is talking about an air layer; getting roots to start while the sucker is STILL attached to the tree, and only cutting it off when the roots grow. Very different than taking a cutting.

By the way, you're not actually killing anything by cutting the sucker except the foliage of a seedling JM; the rootstock is still there. If it's a JM seedling you want, I can show you gardens where they seed every year by the hundreds.

• noki
    16 years ago

The root stock leaves are pretty nice with red edges, if it has nice fall color cut of the grafted part and have a unique tree. The lace leaved one can be bought again easily. Or not, whatever you want.

Where are you, that tree is really leafed out already.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    16 years ago

Redneck Grower

Why do you jump into that like that? All you had to do was ask how is that possible. Just because you've tried it doesn't mean it doesn't work. It takes knowledge to do it and you don't seem to want to learn about things. Keep an open mind and don't be so quick to judge things like that. You never know what you'd learn. It's a crime to stop learning and be a stubborn like that.

I'm providing a link for you to read through. It's old thread and I tried asking for more info but the person doesn't appear to be active participate in that forum.

A JM called Glowing Ember is done by cuttings only. Supposedly, it gets huge like 35x35 (?!?) but the size varies depending on which website you go to so I don't know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloodgood cuttings...

• redneck_grower
    16 years ago

Lou,
    You obviously have some agenda against me (re: the "Alfalfa fertilizer post", TREES forum; go back and check it, BTW).

I don't think I was jumping ignorantly into anything; my post was intended to differentiate cuttings from layering; that's what I "jumped into". The comment about JM cuttings was merely coincidental to the conversation. Re-read my post, deleting that one, incidental, seemingly offensive sentence, and THEN tell me if you can argue with anything I said.

And, if a consensus of JM experts out there (I'm not one of them) agree that JM's root easily, then I will happily strike that ONE SENTENCE from my post. I'd also like to see a consensus of which is superior; own-root plants of the named selections, or grafted plants. (That may open a can of worms!!! ;-)

Thanks for the link, Lou. I first began following that post in 2006. Stop thinking you know anything about me, my knowledge base, or my skills in gardening (or the lack thereof, as the case may be).

Stop the vitriol, and consider the entire content and context of a post before YOU jump in. And quit the personal attacks; it does nothing to advance the forums.

• Robert Owens
    7 years ago

I just purchased one identical to the one pictured it is in a 5 gallon.

Which one the red lace leaf or the green red edge is the one which should be removed ?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    7 years ago

The green is the under- or root stock and is just the straight species, Acer palmatum. It is not nearly as desirable as the grafted or top portion with the red leaves. It should be removed ASAP as it will overwhelm the top growth rapidly and take over. I assume it is the red portion that you purchased the tree for - it will be a named form and generally will command a higher price than just the species.

FWIW, I would never purchase a JM that was showing this vigorous a root stock growth. It typically indicates a tree that has not been properly cared for.

• HU-319264002
    3 years ago

I'm reading these comments and would like to share a picture of this beautiful tree at a house I just bought. From one trunk, Both Maples appear quite healthy, but I wonder if I need to cut off the huge green portion?

• HU-319264002
    3 years ago

Let me try again to attach photo. I apologize.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

Boy!! You really do have two trees :-) Because I cannot see or determine how one is generating from the other, it's hard to offer any advice. But I'd suspect the time of removal or separation is long past.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    3 years ago

That's way past fixing IMO.

Can you get in there and take a photo of exactly where the two types join?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations