Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyny6

Inaba Shidare

judyny6
16 years ago

I am panicking and could use some advice. I did something a little crazy, and bought a tree that was labeled Inaba Shidare at Home Depot before it had leaved out. I was so excited to see it there, and it was such a large tree at such a reasonable price, that I took a chance. Its structure looked correct- upright instead of weeping. Unfortunatly, it is starting to leaf out, and the leaves are green instead of red. Is this its natural spring color, or did I get a mismarked tree? If anyone who grows this tree could let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Comments (16)

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Likely mismarkered if you had it unleafed and it leafed out in your yard /...some trees leaf out green under heavy shade cloth but this doesn't seem the case also Inaba is slow growing at least for me if it was a LARGE tree it is unlikely an Inaba IMHO...Since everything at HD is guranteed I'd wait a bit see if you like it ( if it was really cheap) if not take it back . My inaba has always leafed out dk red but tend to green out in summer others though may have differnt experiences...but likely mismarked ..BTW was the tag in english or Spanish? ...it seems some of HD's trees are being grown south of the border so who knows...You DID NOT do anything stupid ...you were perfectly logical you see a taged tree you should expect it to be what the tag says ...don't beat yourself up it's HD's fault if in fact it is mismarked which IMHO seems likely. David

• mattlwfowler
    16 years ago

I'm a bit confused as to what you mean by upright rather than weeping. 'Inaba shidare' is a weeping red cultivar, although it has some upright properties more so than others. So I'm a bit confused here, but regardless if it is green it still sounds like a mislabel.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Yes I saw that too... although it can be trained to be an upright to some degree...I have them both ways... the upright trained one not lookin too good after the freeze...it is about 4 years old and probably 3 ft tall thus my above comment. David

• judyny6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I should have been a little more clear- as J.D. Vertrees says, it is a little more upright in appearance than other dissectums. Mine is 4 feet tall, with a 3 inch trunk girth. Compared to others I've purchased online, this tree is very large. The tag was in English, not Spanish. Anyway, thanks so far for the advice, and please let me know if this sheds some more light on things.
    Judy

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Unless someone else here has seen one come out green I stand by the mislabled statement. Also this is not a huge tree in height a 3" girth trunk is hugh for a HD tree or just about any jm that isn't really expensive..it would have to be pretty darn old to get that big of trunk ...If your measurments are right.... I have some 15 year old bloodgoods with trunks that arn't that wide!!..I doubt seriously it is a I.S. david

• judyny6
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope I said that right-the girth part. It is 3 inches with a tape measure around the base of the trunk- maybe thats circumference? Anyway, is this still an older tree, or does that depend on what type of JM it is? It seems, like I said, to be a much larger specimen than the 3 or 4 year old trees I've ordered online. I wish I could get a picture of it up, but I'm just not that advanced. I was just wondering if I got a bargain, and should hold onto it, even if it isn't Inaba Shidare. I paid $150 for it, and have paid that much for trees a third the size. David, or anyone else, I would appreciate feedback before I talk myself into returning it!
    Judy

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

OHHH 3" cicum. thats about an in thick if I am not mistaken Not a real young tree but not and old as I assumed but yes it depends on the cultivar growing conditions etc. Without a pic I can't tell you for sure ....150 for a 4' inaba is probably a good deal 150 for a maple of unknown lineage is a rip off even at that size... If you can email me a jpeg I'll look at it if that is beyond your capabilities take a photo and take it to a local nursry or arborist and see what they think ...I think w/o a photo we cant tell you but may not even with ...but the green still sounds WRONG...David

• treeman_ca
    16 years ago

Green is wrong for an Inaba shidare. Even in the shade it will leaf out red. One thing that makes Inaba different from other dissectums is the long graceful sweep to the branches. Very few angles, just beautiful curves. The tree doesn't sound like a bargain to me. When buying trees at HD, remember where you are.

• AsianGardener
    16 years ago

I brought one also for $150 and it was labeled as Tamakeyuma. Its starting to leaf out, its green with a tint of white. I think it will turn red. This one was potted which I like more than B&B.

• myersphcf
    16 years ago

Sounds to me like someones been hittin the corn liquor at the wholesale nursery ;>)...keep your reciept ..I bet you'll need it...My Tamu has always leafed out red!!! dark red at that

• berryroa_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Don't give up my maple turned green my tree guy said it needed fish meal? Then it turned red again . It shd have a very lacy leaf and partially upright curving branches maybe its a close species ?? Feed it talk to a pro tree person

• dustyko
    8 years ago

I bought an Inaba Shidare Japanese Maple this spring at Lowes. It has been a really pretty red until recently and now it is turning green and tips of leaves look white. Can anyone tell me what is going on or what I need to do to return it to the beautiful red color?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

How much shade is it in?

• dustyko
    8 years ago

It. Gets mostly sun maybe shade in late afternoon.

• dustyko
    8 years ago

It is on the south side of house and we are in Colorado

• jalcon
    8 years ago

My Shiba Idare leafs out brilliant red but by summers end always bronzes out quite a bit.

Sponsored
Designing Beautiful, Sustainable Homes in Columbus