Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning for side growth - Japanese Maple sapling

Posted by mistamatic 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 11:01

I have a 12-year old+ coral bark Japanese Maple that finally kicked off a baby last summer. I carefully potted it and by the end of the season it had grown straight up to nearly 4 feet tall.

The problem is that that's all it's doing...growing straight up. Is there some sort of pruning/pinching I need to do at a certain point to encourage it to start branching out horizontally? Or maybe it's just an age issue...it just needs a few more years before it does this all on its own without any outside interference? I haven't fertilized it at all, just put in some good potting soil and transplanted to a larger pot yesterday to give it more root development space before it really wakes up and starts growing taller. haha

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning for side growth - Japanese Maple sapling

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 15:04

Kicked off a baby? Are you sure your plant isn't grafted and the (I'm assuming it's a) basal sprout isn't from the root stock?

Obviously, trees in nature branch just fine w/o our help, so if you wait, the tree will develop secondary branching on its own. You CAN force it to branch by removing the terminal bud on the leader (or cutting back harder), which contains the apical meristem. This removes the source of the growth regulator/hormone (auxin) that suppresses secondary growth. IF you do that, you need to take steps to train one of the branches that emerge to the vertical as the new leader, or risk changing the trunk line from straight to something with a crook/bend/curves in it.

Al

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 7, 09 at 13:32

Vase-like habit normal for this cultivar. Don't try to thwart its normal development. Eventually it may even be wider than you want, on its own.

Of course, if that one is a rootstock sprout, you want to snip it out completely.

o

LOL @ Kicked off a baby

Too funny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here