Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving homes, want to bring JM with me

Posted by mary-in-toronto 6A (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 11:07

I will be moving to another home in early May, not far from my present home. I have a 3 year old Acer palmatum disectum 'Tamukeyama' that I want to bring with me. What is the best way to move it? dig, ball and burlap now, or wait till I can actually transplant the tree? Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving homes, want to bring JM with me

Ideally, the best way would have been to have dug it while it was still fully dormant and tranferred it to a suitably sized container until it could have been replanted. Waiting until May is possibly the worst choice of timing. Can you make arrangements with the new owners to come back and retrieve your tree in fall after it loses its leaves? Barring that, digging it ASAP and potting up until it can be replanted is an alternative, although still not great timing.

o
RE: moving homes, want to bring JM with me

One suggestion I have is, if you are going to move it now, dig the new hole first. Then dig up the maple. And if you are going to leave it behind to get in the fall, get it in writing with the new owners. I would also suggest if you have to dig it up, go to a local nursery and get a big container to set it in rather than trying the balled and burlap route.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here