Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
millingtoncb

Exposure for Japanese maples

millingtoncb
14 years ago

Hi,

I will be planting 3 differnet JMs in the next week or so and would like to get input about sun exposure and ideal planting location in my zone.

Each of these trees were purchased from reputable local nurseries, not Lowes, HD, etc...

I have a Shaina that I bought that is already over 3 feet tall and probably the same width. Tree is packed full of leaves already ranging from dark red to a dark orange to a deep green, beautiful tree...

I have a Bloodgood that is only maybe 2 feet tall or a little taller, but already full of deep red, purple bright leaves with lots of new greenish growth

I have a "dwarf red, Atropurpureum" also that is maybe 2 feet tall that has buds developing but hasnt opened up a leaf yet, early April.

My question centers around the sun exposure for each of these trees. I have very little afternoon shade since my property has only been established for 5 years or so and the oaks and maples I have already are only 8-10 feet tall and dont provide much shade. The east side of my house and shop do offer afternoon shade.

Some of the tags say full sun, some say partial, but I expect these comments to be totally dependent on planting zone.

Can anyone provide input for my location, Memphis TN

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County