Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pixie and Shaina in Zone 7?

Posted by jmnubie 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 6, 09 at 11:58

I am currently obessed with these and will not rest until I find specific information(based on experience)about their perfomance in full all day south facing patio.

Does any one have experience growing these in full all day sun in Zone7(Atlanta, GA)? Do they burn? How badly? Will they eventually adapt to full sun and tolerate full sun better with time? How about maintaining there red color? Do they take pruning well?

There is lots of information on the web but I would like to hear from the horses mouth.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pixie and Shaina in Zone 7?

A full, all day sun, south facing patio is not a good situation for any Japanese maple, regardless of specific location. First, while some JM's are indeed more sun and heat tolerant than others, ALL would prefer morning sun and then some shade from the intense, hot afternoon sun and many require it. Second, there is an issue of reflected heat from the paved surfaces of the patio. Third, and this was not specifically addressed, if these are going to be grown in containers, all bets are off.

Yes, they'll burn - even in the midwest (lower zone), most JM's in full sun experience scorch. It's even rather common in my very northerly, weak summer sun, zone 8 maritime climate. And coloring will be washed out by very intense sun, turning most red leaved selections a muddy green-bronze color. Will they outgrow it? It depends on the selection, your soil conditions and how much care you provide the plant with regards to watering, etc. but not always.

What you propose is just not preferred siting and places unnecessary stress on the trees. Is there nowhere else on your property these could be located?

o
RE: Pixie and Shaina in Zone 7?

No, they will not be container grown. I would like to plant them where I can readily see them and both locations have full, all day sun.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here