Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
taking care of a Seiryu JM

Posted by GNPS Southern CA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 12:33

Hi All,

I just got a Seiryu a week ago and I wanted to make sure I'm taking good care of it. Some of the things I've read are confusing to me.

I'm in coastal Southern California, about 5 miles from the beach, the tree is in full sun right now from about 10 am till 4 pm. I repotted it into a giant pot. The temps aren't really high right now, maybe 70's but the pot still gets quite warm from the direct sun.
Here are the pics.
http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6286/mapleg.jpg
http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/1299/maple2.jpg

How often should I water this right now?
I've been doing about 2 gallons every three days since it seemed like at that point the soil wasn't really moist. Should I stretch it out longer but give it more water?

How would this schedule change as we get into the hotter summer months when we'll hit 90+? Luckily I can move the tree closer to the house where it''ll get more shade and much less direct sunlight but the temps are still going to be really high.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: taking care of a Seiryu JM

Water every few days for now. When it gets hot, move it to a new spot that gets morning sun only. Direct afternoon sun during summer can really heat up container mix. I water till water comes out of drainage holes. That's plenty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here