Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nrachelj_gw

Japanese Maple aratama - leaves crisping, wilting and falling

nrachelj
12 years ago

We planted our new aratama in a well-draining container about 1.5 months ago. It is a well established tree, probably around 5 years old, about 3 feet tall. It is placed on the north east corner of our home and gets about 1-2 hours of direct morning light a day. At first, we were watering it about 1x a week. From the beginning, the leaves began looking troubled. The leaves are all turning from red orange to pale orange green, which is probably ok as spring warms up. But also, several new bright red leaves appeared and quickly have been drying up and falling, mostly from underneath. The leaves which were mostly flat have gradually become curved downward and now, even larger older leaves are crisping and wilting and will soon fall off.

We are so sad and would like to get the tree back on track before it's too late. Any advice would be very much appreciated! We have not fertilized the plant either and the soil has never felt soggy, nor are there any signs of insects on the branches or leaves.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• zencalc
    12 years ago

There are a lot of variables to consider. Is the tree planted to deep, is the soil in the area bad, etc. If its under some larger trees in shade, the larger trees may be taking all of the available water or nutrients. I would definitely do a soil test in the area, and maybe dig the tree out and put in a big pot with just free-draining pumice as the soil. Hope the tree recovers for you.

• houzi
    12 years ago

Usually assuming you can see no other problems,discoloured or dying branches,at this time of year I'd say too wet,however you seem sure this is not so in your case.It may be just 'exposure' to the elements,remember you've only just re-potted and the roots may not have settled in yet.Even a healthy plant can suffer if too windy or sunny,the new leaves can be very easily damaged,especially if the roots are not doing their job properly yet.Our windy springs play havoc with my maples.Firstly I'd put it in the shade in a very sheltered area out of the wind.You won't be able to save the leaves that are already damaged but hopefully it may recover...and don't panic and over water now...good luck.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

What did you use as a potting medium? And have you tested your water for alkalinity? An improper potting medium can create all sorts of issues, especially if it is too dense or moisture retentive. Also, SoCal water supplies tend towards the alkaline and that can be detrimental as well.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

Did you use store bought potting medium that came with fertilizer in the medium? Another thought was being in a pot on the corner of the house is there a wind tunnel effect? Hopefully your tree recovers!

• nrachelj
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all responses. I'm beginning to think that maybe some of the damage is due to a day or two of heavy rains and winds. Even though the tree is under an overhang so did not get direct rain, there was definitely major winds. I should have moved it out of that area.

The tree is planted just as it was in it's previous pot from the nursery except for in a larger pot. In terms of leaves slightly curling downwards instead of being flatter, does this usually mean too little water or too much? Or could this all be a reaction to too much daily wind? There is a slight breeze throughout the day, but nothing crazy. there is a lot of pollen from a nearby avocado tree that has collected all over the leaves.

If, and this is what I am hoping it is, the damage is from the storm in tandem with the shock of being newly potted, would it be a good idea to prune off the dead leaves and dry twigs that have appeared? a lot of the dead/dying leaves are in clusters underneath other branches of leaves (sort of internal to the structure of the tree's foliage).

I checked all the way down into the container to make sure of drainage again, and the soil is barely moist, so I really don't think it's too much water.

We do have very alkaline water here in southern California. I was told to use rose or azalea food to help replenish the acidity in the soil, but didn't plan on using that for several months since the tree was just repotted.

I'd like to post images of the tree, just need to figure out how!

• houzi
    12 years ago

Well there's certainly a lot of suggestions here,all are possibilities.For me personally,wind is my major springtime hurdle.I've got several 7ft trees,a couple in-ground fighting to expand their leaves properly.They've been caught just at the wrong time again.Whilst I think wind could cause the symptoms you describe,the fact that it's mainly the interior leaves seems to contradict this.Yes photos could help,you need to upload them to a site like 'Photo Bucket' or 'Image Shack'...copy the html code and add it to your message,or copy the image link code and add.

• nrachelj
    Original Author
    12 years ago
  • alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

If you go to the conifer forum and search 'posting pictures' they have a real helpful post on topic.

• houzi
    12 years ago

Hmm,I'm not familiar with the colouration of this cultivar,and perhaps the photos don't really show your concerns well,but to me the tree doesn't look in too bad shape at all.Perhaps it suffered in adverse weather earlier and is now recuperating.Unless anyone sees something of concern I'd just shelter it and watch closely for now and I stress again don't water too much...by the way,photo no.1 doesn't work

• nrachelj
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This aratama continues to hold on despite the trauma of being replanted. Our newest problem is we found fungus gnats in the pot and need to repot the tree as soon as possible to ensure better drainage. Any tips on how to go about this the best? Also, what soil should we use for our pot? Last time, we used soil we purchased from Lowe's which has caused us nothing but trouble...it's the same soil in which bird's nest fungus has grown in other succulent pots that we potted around the same time and the bag has fungus in it.

Thank you for your help!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

None of the photos work for me so no way to judge what may be wrong with the tree. However, comments about fungus gnats do raise concerns. For an outdoor container to breed fungus gnats, I'd have to surmise drainage is greatly compromised and that could definitely be the cause of the tree's distress.

Containerized trees want a very barky, highly textural potting soil, which is not something easily found at places like Lowes. Your better nurseries/retail garden centers should have something appropriate - look for Gardner & Bloome or Master Nursery's Acid Planting Mix. Both brands of similar consistency and from same supplier and are common in SoCal. Or check out the gritty mix recipes on the Container Gardening forum.

• brettay
    11 years ago

I would agree with several other posters thoughts about the soil being too wet. Whenever I have had maples with brightly colored but drying leaves it has been because I have overwatered. Perhaps your potting soil is too water retentive.

-Brett

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH