Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer pruning on Japanese Maples

Posted by judyny6 z6 NY (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 8, 07 at 12:53

I am sort of new to Japanese Maples. I have 5 so far, 2 of them full size. The other 3 are 3 foot trees, and have all been nibbled by deer, even though I spray them with repellents. Butterfly and an unknown seedling are slightly lopsided, and Seiryu has had a large branch stepped on and removed. Will these trees compensate as they grow and regain their shape? Or should I prune them to try and even them out now while they are still small? Is now a good time to prune them- they have not started to leaf out yet. I would appreciate any advice to keep them beautiful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer pruning on Japanese Maples

If you want a central leader it would be a good idea to stake or prune it to follow this somewhat unnatural habit for many JMs. However, the branches will usually fill in for the most part and pruning is only necessary if you want a particlar limb structure IMO.

o
RE: Deer pruning on Japanese Maples2

Having said that, let me say that a naturally grown JM can be a great tree...but a carefully pruned and cared for JM can be an EXCEPTIONAL tree.

o

Thank you for your advice. Can you or anyone else suggest any good books on correct pruning methods? I don't want to do any further damage to the shape of my trees. Or if pruning the central leader is easily done, can someone tell me where it should be cut and when? Thanks, Judy.

o

Judy,
www.mountainmaples.com has pretty good tips on how to prune them.
NamNhi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here