Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead Buds

Posted by acercon3 UK 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 07 at 12:58

I have containerised garnet and seiryu maples and for consecutive seasons it would appear that a significant proportion of buds on each plant will not open.
These buds turn brown and die.
In the case of the seiryu the problem is particulary with terminal buds but not confined to .
After experiencing this last season I eventually cut off the dead branch parts. If I have to carry out a similar procedure I will begin to have plants that look stunted.
What causes this and is there anything that I can do to resolve the problem?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead Buds

I have seen similar occurences quite often (although I'm not sure of the extent compared to yours) on several 'seiryu'. Sometimes the late summer growth is vigorous to the point that the terminal shoots do not have time to harden off before winter.

If there is a significant percentage of dead branches (say over 15 percent of the terminal shoots), you may have a more serious problem and we would likely need more information to help you out.

TBH we could really use some pictures and information about the growing conditions to narrow down the possibilties of what it could be.

o
RE: Dead Buds

Hi mattlwfowler

I posted a pic in the gallery , sorry about the quality.

I had very little 2 nd growth last year and after looking at the plant today I can say that there is a significant occurrence of dead buds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here