Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ross09_gw

Japanese Maple Damage, need help

ross09
12 years ago

Hello all, I have a 20 year old threadleaf Japanese maple in front of my house. I just had my roof replaced and the contractor damaged the tree by breaking off more than 40 branches. The branches ranged in size from 3/16"-1/2". I would like to know the best way to treat the tree and the broken branches. My biggest concern involves 2 large broken branches, where all or most of the budded parts of the branches have been broken off. From my experiences, if I had a broken tree branch, I would cut the branch back to the first healthy intersecting branch. But all of the healthy intersecting branches were also broken off, leaving just a straight branch with no intersecting branches. What's left of these branches are still good size, and I hate the idea of cutting them completely off at the trunk. I just don't know if they will sprout new buds and survive or if they will slowly die and drain off nutrients from the rest of the tree. Please advise. thank you for any help.

Comments (13)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I cannot give you specific pruning advice without seeing photos of the tree and the damage. However, just based on your descriptions, it sounds unlikely that the tree will regain any approximation of its former shape and appearance. I would hope the contractor is replacing the tree with something comparable in size, if not age. Or the financial equivalent. A 20yr.old dissectum in good health and appearance is worth a tidy sum!!

• ross09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here are some photos of the damage. The first set shows damage to the japanese Maple tree, including a before and after photos of the tree. THe 1st photo is the tree 2 year ago & the 6th photo is the tree today, after the damage. I also included a second set of photos of damage to another tree,at the hands of the roofing company, a beautiful 20 year old Crabapple tree.

{{gwi:343502}}

{{gwi:343504}}

{{gwi:343506}}

{{gwi:343508}}

{{gwi:343510}}

{{gwi:343512}}

{{gwi:343514}}

The next photos are of a damages to a crabapple tree.
    {{gwi:343516}}

{{gwi:343519}}

{{gwi:343522}}

{{gwi:343525}}

{{gwi:343528}}

{{gwi:343530}}

{{gwi:343533}}

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    12 years ago

My view > It's very unfortunate, and you have every right to be spitting mad, but your tree will be fine. Prune what's ugly. The lower branches broken are no great loss & branches will grow toward the light where there are gaps in the canopy. You can even help that along by pulling some branches into any gaps with some fishing line - just don't forget it's there - remove it or adjust so it doesn't bite into the bark before the branches are set.

Al

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

I agree with Al - the damage is not as bad as I had imagined and removal of the damaged portions will still leave a very handsome little tree. It may just take a few seasons but it should eventually look as good as ever.

Same with the crab - remove what's broken/damaged with good clean cuts. It will recover quickly. And I'd be seriously inclined to report my experiences with this roofing contractor to Angie's List or other referral service so the rest of the world knows what they may be in for.

• Cher
    12 years ago

I'm glad your damage wasn't as severe as I thought. You've been given some good advice on pruning. I think you'll be surprised how it looks when it's done. On another note, I would not refer a company to anyone for an accident, especially if they felt bad about it. Accidents happen as we know just from the weather. I'd hate to count the times that I've accidentally stepped back on something or dropped something myself and broken a plant or limbs. Now if they didn't care that it happened it's a different story, but to possibly hurt someone's livelihood is a big step to take.
    Cher

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

There is a big difference between an accident and carelessness. Dumping old roofing materials to the ground to break off branches and damage on at least two trees is beyond accidental. Contractors should be well aware of the potential damage their work can cause if not careful and responsible contractors make sure their staff knows to treat the homeowner's property with consideration and extra care. That's what they carry - or should carry - liability insurance for.

• ross09
    Original Author
    12 years ago

chohio, You stated "I've accidentally stepped back on something or dropped something myself and broken a plant or limbs" Are you serious? Did you even look at the photos?? The Japanese maple has at least 40 broken branches, the crabapple has at least 15 broken branches. Yes, now I see your point, "stepping back on something" and breaking 55 tree branches! YES VERY SIMILAR, VERY SIMILAR. Good grieve.

• cvale
    8 years ago

Can someone help me with my Japanese Maple -- my landscaper's worker rode under the tree, caught his hoodie rather than stopping floored the lawnmower and took a large branch connected to the trunk! I'm sick. I planted this tree as a sappling in honor a deceased loved one.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    8 years ago

Yikes- makes me appreciate my roofer even more than I did before. They actually built plywood cages around my JM's while they were working. Of course the very first thing I did on day #1 was call a meeting of all the workers to emphasize how much every single plant meant to me. They didn't damage even one blade of grass, lol.

• cvale
    8 years ago

Thank you both so very much -- I appreciate your answering and suggestions -- Chris

• devinegrantm
    8 years ago

Thank you for your answers to the above regarding Japanese Maples. I have an approximately 15 year old tree that was just backed into by a contractor who was working on my property (also happens to be my father in law, so no "suing"). There was a distinct cracking sound and there is now a crack going halfway through the trunk roughly one inch above the ground. Is the tree a goner or is there something that can be done to save this tree? thanks

• Mike McGarvey
    8 years ago

A picture or two under a new thread would be the way to go.

Mike

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio