Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny black spots on Japanese maple leafs

Posted by Deedlelu Bay Area, CA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 13:21

Hello there,

I'm very new to Japanese Maples (well, gardening in general too!). This weekend we got our 3rd and 4th maples and I noticed that the Akane that we purchased had tiny black spots on the leaves of the bottom most branch. There are a few on some leaves higher up but the spots are mainly concentrated at the bottom.

Should this be cause for concern? I also replanted it last night and a couple of the topmost branches started drooping. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny black spots on Japanese maple leafs

Here is an image of the drooping branches

o

Not an expert myself but have read on another forum of people experiencing black markings on this particular maple.The cause is yet unknown and fungicides etc. don't seem to help.However it doesn't seem to affect the plant greatly as new growth is usually ok,just looks unsightly at certain times of the year.As to the drooping,perhaps settling in after replanting?..maybe check it's getting watered ok.

o

There are various reasons JM's develop leaf spots and some have nothing to do with diseases. With a very young tree just recently purchased from a nursery, I would suspect physiological leaf spot or a reaction to envirnomental factors - weather, mechanical damage, jostling by customers or due to travel, etc. Certainly nothing I would be overly concerned about at this point. Just keep an eye on it so you will know if the situation starts to escalate. Just an FYI but one wants to be extremely hesitant about spraying JM's with anything other than water. Their delicate foliage reacts badly with most pesticides and creates a phytotoxic reaction that is often worse than the problem being treated.

Drooping condition most likely caused by planting/transplanting, which can cause temporary shocking. Keep out of sun and properly watered until it recovers.

FWIW, I am not aware of 'Akane' having any particular issues with leaf spot. I grow it myself and it is a pretty trouble free cultivar IMO.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here