Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple excited!

Posted by Hibiscus_0bsessed none (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 13:48

Ok so as u can tell I'm normally on the Hibiscus forum but I also love Japanese Maples, I have only one in my front yard. Today I went out to pick some seeds to try and grow some new ones, so I can say "I grew it myself" (I'm new to gardening) anyway I found 9 already sprouted seeds! I was so excited I had to share. I am still going to try and grow more myself, but its a great start. Thanks for listening/reading. :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple excited!

Congrats. You're a father...or mother. Now, first and foremost, nothing will kill a seeding faster than potting it up with garden soil. It will turn to cement. Search this forum for potting mixes.

tj

o

Could you possibly put your growing zone information in your profile so that it shows when you post?
I find it difficult to process posts without the context of where you are.
And yes, I know I can see it if I click on your profile- my position remains that I shouldn't have to :)

Congrats on the seedlings.
Did you do a anything special in the way of seed prep?
What kind of maple do you have?
Do you know it is is self pollinating or what other maples you have in your neighborhood?
It will be interesting to see what they turn out to be!

o

I'm sorry, I'm in zone 8 in central Cali. I'm not too knowledgeable about Japanese Maples so all I know is the one in my front yard is a green one, and it has lots of seeds growing on it right now. I didn't do anything for seed prep, the only thing I can think of is a few weeks ago I pulled out these ugly bushes that were around the tree itself and I soaked the dirt around it to pull out the roots from the bushes, which left the dirt wet and loose. So yesterday when I went outside to pick some seeds to prep in the fridge, I found some already sprouting! Now the trick will be to keep them alive lol. There are a lot of other Japanese around my neighborhood both red and green, so I am excited to see what the seedlings will be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here