Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Open canopy and dappled shade - is this a fantasy?

Posted by acer 6b western NC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 13:49

I'm wondering if there's any variety of large maple - specifically red or sugar- that has a more open, less-dense canopy for dappled shade. I know most maples are pretty dense, but I love their leaf shape and fall color. The planting site is mostly sunny with only light shade in the afternoon. It's on a hill, and I want a tree that will grow tall enough for the crown to not block the view from the front porch. Frame the view, yes, but not block it.
So is there an open-canopied variety for that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Open canopy and dappled shade - is this a fantasy?

You might find a Japanese Maple that fits that bill, but not a Sugar or Red. If you must have one of those two, I would plan on getting some sophisticated pruning tools and having an annual "thinning out" party with the tree. They're naturally dense.

o
RE: Open canopy and dappled shade - is this a fantasy?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 16:29

And quite tall.

Japanese maple is shorter but very dense, unless you plant an open-growing cultivar like 'Shishigashira'. But any kind of tree will then be between you and the view on the other side.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here