Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do: Sagging JM branches with new growth?

Posted by fogbelt_steve 9b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 13:54

I have two regular, green Japanese Maples that are growing very quickly and the branches are sagging with the weight of the new leaves. I haven't given them any fertilizer. In the past, I've used stakes and ties to keep them upright. One is about 7' and the other about 5' (the smaller one isn't as bad). I may be able to tie up the large one for one more year with bigger stakes, but that might be the last time because of their height.

Can someone tell me what would be the best thing to do with these drooping branches, both now and in the furture? I've uploaded a photo with a link below. Thanks for your help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sagging Branches

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do: Sagging JM branches with new growth?

I have a similar at a glance japanese maple from the arbor day foundation. Its out in the middle of the yard getting most of a full day of sun.

Are yours getting a bit of shade?

Mine is bushy and sags a bit in the summer. No with leaves on it the fella is shorter than it was a month ago!

Where did you get yours? Some of the cultivars are bred to sag, weeping they'll call it. Wonder how we can work with that natural beauty.....

o

These Japanese Maples are getting nearly full sun here on the northern California coast. I grew the larger tree from seeds a few years ago. It is NOT one of the weeping varieties. The stakes in the photo are from last year and aren't being used now.

I'm wondering if I can thin out the new growth to lessen the weight on the branches?

o

Prune. Prune. Prune. Don't be afraid of it - take control.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here