Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JM has a split trunk - can it be saved?

Posted by Trusten 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 14:06

We have a 3 year old JM that has developed a split trunk from excessive snow last winter. It appears healthy otherwise with a full set of leaves. Some earlier posts suggested using bolt and wires but the top is very flat and don't see this helping much. Any suggestions? Picture below. Many thanks for the help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JM has a split trunk - can it be saved?

Well, some folks would tie it, others would install a screw to secure the 2 parts. Neither truly useful.

Overall, either enjoy for as many years as it remains in one piece, or educe your stress levels and cut your losses by replacing it this fall.

o

Euthanize and move on.
IMO whomever pruned a crotch like that doomed it from the get go.

o

Sorry but it looks hopeless to me. Time to start over.

o

• Posted by danzeb 7a long island (My Page) on
    Wed, May 1, 13 at 22:02

A bolt with large washers and some electrical tape to hold it together. Remove the bolt in three years if it looks like it has healed. I had the same problem 7 or 8 years ago. The bolt and tape have been removed and the split has healed. I now have a strong red lace Japanese Maple that survived very heavy wet snow that broke branches on many other trees but that healed split held.

Or course you could also find a tree the same size and buy that.

Correction: You won't be able to remove the bolt after a year or two but the tape should be removed. The tree with grow around the bolt.

This post was edited by danzeb on Sat, May 4, 13 at 7:39

o

Such splits are VERY unlikely to "heal" unless attended to soon after the split occurred.

In other words, for this tree, it's much too late to expect a good result.

o

I bolted mine last summer and a year later it is doing perfectly. do it asap!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here