Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taking care of Bloodgoods

Posted by pgardenweb NC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 14:13

Hi!

I am new to gardening. Last summer we planted a Japanese Bloodgood. Thankfully it survived the Charlotte drought. It is about 6' in height.

I need some tips on taking care of it (like preventing diseases, from insects and feeding). Any guidance or links is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ram

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taking care of Bloodgoods

That must have set you back. Just make certain it gets watered, and fertilize in the fall but hey we can water once a week but will also get a 15% increase in our bills. Whoopie!

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

Despite a reputation of being fussy, Japanese maples are really quite easy to grow if you provide the conditions they prefer and are rather trouble free. They are not prone to many insect issues, although Japanese beetles can be a problem in those areas where they are common. If J. beetles are common in your area, follow recommended controls to keep them in check (none in my area, thankfully).

Disease issues tend to be associated with improper growing conditions. If you have decent soil with good drainage and water appropriately, this shouldn't be a concern either. Like most larger landscape plants, fertilization is generally not something that needs to be done on a regular basis. Test your soil first if you have specific concerns, but mulching annually with a 2" layer of compost will pretty much address all nutrient requirements and has the added benefit of helping to retain soil moisture and keeping weeds down. Avoid much disturbance or cultivation in the root zone - J maples have many delicate surface feeder roots that can be easily damaged and this provides inroads for any disease pathogens that may be present. Water as necessary for your climate, but deeply and infrequently when you do.

Other than that, there's not too much attention these trees require. Bloodgoods have been around a long time and are very popular because they are a tough and very hardy selection of Japanese maples.

o

Some good compost added to the top of the soil in Spring is sometimes just as good as any fertilizing. I don't fertilize my JMs. Ever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here