Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I save my Crimson Queen

Posted by hacked_up_queen 7-8 (Atlanta, GA) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 14:14

We had a 5 gallon Crimson Queen that we planted 2 years ago. Hired a guy to rototil to make our beds bigger, and somehow (didn't see it happen) the tiller jumped and hacked my beautiful maple to shreds... :,-(

I have branches from it in water, and was looking for advice (can I get cuttings to root, if I need to graft onto which plants...) on any hope of saving some of what was the favorite (and most expensive) plant in our landscape!!

Please Help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I save my Crimson Queen

Wow that is terrible. That is definetely a first for me.

You may be able to get something to root...but the success rate is very slim unless the conditions are very good. And this is about the worst time to do it as midsummer or winter would probably be better.

Grafting would be a better choice, but a seedling tree would likely be needed (or the existing tree if anything is left: I'm a bit confused as too how much was damaged) This would also probably have at best a 75 percent chance of success this time of year.

o
RE: Can I save my Crimson Queen

Thanks, I don't think there is enough of our tree left to try and graft, it's sawed off about 4 inches off the ground, I added a little fertilizer around the stump last night to see if it had the energy to send up a couple shoots, but if the original tree was grafted it might be too low... Do you have a suggestion for what seedling to try to graft it too?? I have taken 5 separate pieces (25% sucess rate gives me a little hope...) to try and root, but could also give a graft a shot... I haven't ever tried grafting before, so advice on best practice would be a help!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here