Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arriella_gw

Please need advice on maple seeds.

Arriella
12 years ago

Hi all,

Im new to posting here.

I really need your help. All my JM seeds are falling off at this time in April. Are they falling because they are not good?

I plant my 3-4 year volunteer seedlings all over my ugly town. I sell only 1-3 large plants to pay for the dirt and pots for that year. Three is the most I have sold in one year. I have no room for more.

I am not, nor ever will be a true "maple seller". This is why I do not graft. I have lots of time for there roots to grow.

I have found that I really enjoy growing baby maples then giving them away to charity groups for raffles. Im talking about 10 foot tall by 8 foot wide trees. The trees that get to big for my yard are then planted around my town. Some do go to friends and family.

Maple trees are my passion, not my income. (I would starve)

If I have offended anyone in this or my last post, I am truly sorry.

I went out this morning and found hundreds of seeds on my lawn under my 15+ foot Bloodgood. They are fat and red, but not dry at all. Are these seeds good? I have many other maples where the seeds from this year are now falling as well. I know the trees from these seeds will not be like the parent. I enjoy watching what the baby turns into.

I have over 30 different kinds of Japanese maples. Many of them are coverd with seeds that are now falling as well. Are any seeds that drop at this time good for planting?

I have never tried to grow maples from seeds. I am really looking forward to it if I can. I may be in to hot of an area for it. I live about 50 miles from San Francisco, Ca.

Any help is most appreciated. Thank you.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting