Return to the Maples Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tamukeyama behaving wierd

Posted by cathy0429 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 16:18

So about 10 days ago, the weather started getting really nice in these parts...high 80s. All of a sudden, our Tamukeyama which we installed last year, put out much new growth. Out came beautiful buds and opening into tiny leaflets, and all. Suddenly it turned cold for a couple of days, then back to warm again.

However, the Tamukeyama leaves seem to be frozen in time. They are not plumping up anymore and are dropping downwards. I am pretty sure this is not their original size. Also, no more new buds, so the tree is so thin-looking.

Any idea why it would do this? We watered every alternate day last week, but decide to hold off this week suspecting over watering. I hope we didnt over water it.

Any suggestions to improve the Tamukeyama and get it back on track. Its located in the East-South-East of the house, so it gets direct sun until about 1pm.

I will post pics this evening.

Thanks much all.
-Cathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tamukeyama behaving wierd

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 16, 10 at 12:14

New spring growth of Japanese maple cultivars is often frost-sensitive.

o

I have a JP Tamukeyama, It has been in the grden going on 4 years. This years as of April all the branches have what I beive are no buds or leaves. There is one new branch growing from the bottom of the tree with green leaves on it so I can assume the tree is not dead? Should I wait awhile and see if it buds, if not do I cut out all the dead branches?

o

So I spoke with a horticulturalist at the nursery I bought the tamukeyama from. He said that it sounded like the plant was stressed due to underwatering, since we had a few over 80degree days that week. He suggested watering the plant, every alternate day at the rate of 3gallons in 2mins, and it should take care of the plant.

Did that on day 1, and on day 3 the plant was already looking better. Have continued that routine, but doesnt seem like the plant is doing that much better. Sure the leaves have grown plumper, and the tree looks denser, but not quite last years state yet.

Do I just have a lazy tree?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Maples Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here